Languages We Speak

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I know Spanish and English, a good deal of French, some Latin, some Mandarin.

I still hope to become one of those people who can read complex things in about eight languages in the future. :D I don't really need to speak anything other than Spanish and English though...

Alphege

No, I speak only English.

I made a good attempt at learning German, but I need to speak only English. If I needed to speak German, I could do it.

Latin is interesting, but now I need something more than a Latin grammar book . Soon I'll get one.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I know some english, some german and some french. I know a word or two in russian and in spanish.
Last week I started learning norwegian (but I'm terrible at it:().

Last edited:

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

Native language is English (grew up with a very non-standard dialect).
French, near-fluency, can understand/read Spanish and Italian to varying degrees, and I have a very messy familiarity with Arabic. Read Latin.

Quintilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Native language is English (grew up with a very non-standard dialect).
French, near-fluency, can understand/read Spanish and Italian to varying degrees, and I have a very messy familiarity with Arabic. Read Latin.
Don't worry, Pacifica is compiling a nice arabic grammar in Latin, it'll be just what you need when she's through with it.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Oh, come on, man. I'd rather recommend a grammar by someone who knows what they're talking about. :)

I'm a total beginner in Arabic, and not a particularly good one at that. Quintilianus is referring to the fact that I'm writing summaries in Latin of the Arabic grammar I'm learning and sharing them on the "thread where you have to make a post every time you visit". I'm saving most of them in a Word document, hence "compiling".

Quintilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'm still looking forward to a publication of the end product in the coming years.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Is seriously doubt I'll ever become truly proficient in Arabic, or in any other language but the three I'm already proficient in. It's probably too late for that.

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Is seriously doubt I'll ever become truly proficient in Arabic, or in any other language but the three I'm already proficient in. It's probably too late for that.
Did you use to feel the same way about Latin?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Latin was hard in the beginning but I didn't really consider things the same way back then. It was only the second foreign language I learned, and I was younger.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I mean, the question didn't even occur to me then.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

How do you find the sounds? All the finely-distinguished gutturals and emphatics? I need to reopen my Arabic study. Years in Saudi Arabia and I find my understanding of spoken Arabic comes and goes. Sometimes I'll suddenly understand everything being said and other times nothing.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

How do you find the sounds? All the finely-distinguished gutturals and emphatics?
ع، ح، ض، ص، ظ، ط are mysteries to me. :) I think I kind of get some of them, until I realize that I'm making them sound too similar to some others.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

ع، ح، ض، ص، ظ، ط are mysteries to me. :) I think I kind of get some of them, until I realize that I'm making them sound too similar to some others.
I notice you didn't mention غ. Is that because it's similar to a French r?

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Arabic is a hard language for a foreigner in any number of ways, which is exceptional: pronunciation, written form, grammar are all generally problematic, and if that weren't enough, the modern language sprouts mutually incomprehensible dialects.

Quintilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I couldn't pronounce Arabic.
All those guttural sounds plus the trilled Rs I couldn't overcome.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

Arabic is a hard language for a foreigner in any number of ways, which is exceptional: pronunciation, written form, grammar are all generally problematic, and if that weren't enough, the modern language sprouts mutually incomprehensible dialects.
The written form I feel is actually the easiest part; there's very little tricky orthography to it (hamza and third-person masculine plural verb endings come to mind). The dialects are a bit of a worry, but they're not all mutually unintelligible. All Middle Eastern dialects can understand each other, in my observation.