Latenter Vivendo

Amnoon

Hi guys.

Recently, I recently read the latin translation from Plutarch, Latenter Vivendo, of an Epicurus greek sentence and teaching: Lathe Biosas.

Lathe Biosas is an old greek sentence and is pretty complex to translate but is closer to the meaning in English: "Live unnoticed", "Get through life without drawing attention to yourself".

I don't know Latin so I would like to know the connotations of the latin translation: Latenter Vivendo, especially what Latenter means.

Thanks for your help.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Recently, I recently read the latin translation from Plutarch, Latenter Vivendo, of an Epicurus greek sentence and teaching: Lathe Biosas.
The book title in Latin is "De Latenter Vivendo".

especially what Latenter means.
Unnoticed/in secret/privately

I don't know Latin so I would like to know the connotations of the latin translation: Latenter Vivendo
The book title de latenter vivendo means "About living unnoticed".

Amnoon

I see. Thanks for your help!
If you remove De (About), from De Latenter Vivendo, Latenter Vivendo is grammatically and semantically correct right?

Last edited:

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Without the de, it would mean "by living unnoticed".

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Latenter vive would probably be the closest you can get to the Greek Λάθε βιώσας.

Hemo Rusticus

Jive Turkey
You could very well adjust the forms for a more 'literal' translation; that is, 'be inconspicuous (in) living'. Call it a Hellenism:
Vivens late

Any Roman worth his sal would surely recognize the meaning.