Latin Exercises

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Maybe. I guess it makes sense to call it that, but it seems derivative of the jussive at least.

R. Seltza

Hey guys, there's a thread in the Latin-English (which should really be in the English-Latin section) to translate Bachelor's in Business Administration.

The closest word that I could find for "Bachelor's" is baccalaureus. "In" in this case doesn't seem to be referencing a sense of space or time. I was looking for entries in this dictionary & I'm not sure which entries for "in" would be the most appropriate (which also means I'm not sure which preposition should be used or if I should just use a bare ablative). What type of "in" would this be?

Other than that, (supposing that I go with a bare ablative) I've got administratione negotii.

Any thoughts guys (especially about the "in" situation)?

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Well, the word bachelor comes from the Mediaeval Latin word baccalaureus or baccalarius (which has been used as an academic title since the late Middle Ages as well), so that's what you should go with.
in should just be rendered with a genitive and no preposition here.
I would have called it baccalaureus negotii gerendi, I suppose ...

R. Seltza

Why would you use gero here? Does gero somehow convey the idea of "administration"?

Is the genitive gerund used as a way to avoid a conflict between two genitive nouns next to each other?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus
negotium gerere is an expression that means "to do business, trade"

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
negotium gerere = to conduct business
gerendi is not a gerund, but a gerundive here.
Latin is usually not as keen on nominal expressions as English is. There's nothing wrong with recursive genitive nouns per se, but they often don't sound very idiomatic to me. If you want to get a word akin to administratio in there, I would prefer negotii administrandi, but administrare and negotium didn't seem to be used together.