Latin for meeting in progress

Francis S

I am looking for a Latin expression meaning a meeting in session, a meeting called to order. Reconstructing high school Latin from the 1950s, I have come up with in conventu
That sort of sounds familiar to me, but only sort of.
I will be grateful for any thoughts.

Anbrutal Russicus

There's the expression forum agitur - said of administrative sessions presided over by the governor of the province, so should work for official contexts. Very similar is conventus agitur - of big judicial sessions held by the visiting praetor. Otherwise you would specify the exact process/body/etc. that the session represents, such as causa, senātus... The former (a process) goes with agitur, the latter (a body) with habētur. Finally, the most all-encompassing word for 'session' is, well, sessiō "a sitting", but in the real sense of buttocks being applied to sitting surfaces. All the verbs here are impersonal "is being X".

edit: conventus in this sense is fine in the singular.

Last edited:

Anbrutal Russicus

yw! It just occurred to me that sessiō could conceivably be used with either agitur (like conventus) or habētur (like senātus) depending on whether its about the physical process (you don't exactly 'do, pursue' a sitting-down) or is treated as an agenda.

Last edited:

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

A session can be an ongoing meeting (1st session of the 110th Congress - it lasts a whole year; the meeting is adjourned at the end of the day and resumes the following business day unless otherwise specified). Of course that's modern American English, not Latin.

What about agenda by itself?