Latin/Latin Dictionary only.

gily

Hi, I'm looking for Latin/Latin dictionary. Latin Dictionary in which Latin entries/words will be explained in Latin language only.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I've never read one, so I can't vouch for any. However, there is one called Glossaria Latina, and then I think Thesaurus Linguae Latinae (which was started in the late 1800s and will not be finished until around 2050, but whose current progress is available in a number of volumes) is written in Latin. If it isn't, then it certainly seems like a vain endeavor, given the rapid evolution of language.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

There was at least one around when I was in school many years ago. I don't recall who the editors were but you should be able to find one in a good academic library. See THREAD: #4261

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Just one word: Forcellini. Yes, it is bulky. :D Yet it’s one of the most comprehensive Latin dictionaries, with a long history. I really enjoy using it. I use an AutoHotkey script for searching words; in fact, this or that automatisation is a must. We could discuss this.

gily

Thank you guys for answering and let me further clarify my original question.

Whenever I study foreign language I always try to use as soon as possible that language native dictionary. Not only dictionary but also a good Grammar book written in that language.

This approach in the past always tremendously helped me speed-up learning process.
I was able to learn fluently a few languages using that method ( English, русский, 日本語).

A few months ago I decided to learn Latin. I'm simply stunned that I cannot find anywhere on internet a small/medium size Latin ONLY dictionary. Latin dictionary where words explanations are given in Latin only.

Just like in various dictionaries below that I used in the past:
In English: Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of Current English - by AS Hornby http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Advanced-L ... 447&sr=8-1

In Japanese: 外国人のための楽しい日本語辞典 [単行本]
ISBN 4-385-13698-X It is japanese Amazon site http://www.amazon.co.jp

In Russian: Словарь русского языка - С.И. Ожегов
ISBN 5-392-00741-0
http://www.editeurs-reunis.fr/shop/img/ ... -large.jpg
http://www.books.ru/books/slovar-russko ... ka-492736/

I simply refused to believe that something similar does not exist in Latin.
I’ll appreciate any help in finding such a beast.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I had to read the response twice to see the key part:

gily dixit:
small/medium size
Most (all?) pure-Latin endeavors are quite ambitious - an abridged dictionary might be hard to find.

gily

Is there any chance that Forcellini-Lexicon Totius Latinitatis will be printed/published and sold in bookstores again?

gily

Quasus dixit:
Just one word: Forcellini. Yes, it is bulky. :D Yet it’s one of the most comprehensive Latin dictionaries, with a long history. I really enjoy using it. I use an AutoHotkey script for searching words; in fact, this or that automatisation is a must. We could discuss this.

Could you tell me more about your AutoHotkey script?

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

In fact, I use a single script for a number of dictionaries; here is it’s Forcellini part.

You can download AutoHotkey from http://www.autohotkey.com. You save the code as an .ahk file and run it with AHK (in fact, you’ll probably want to set AutoHotkey.exe as the default for .ahk files).

I attach four text files with indices. I them from a bookmarked PDFs. You should download the files and provide their full paths as well as the paths of the volumes at the beginning of the script.

But that’s not all. You have to find out the name of the little edit of your default PDF viewer that contains the page number. You can either use Window Spy (it is launched via the context menu of a running AHK script) or just tell me which viewer you use.

I downloaded my copy of Forcellini from another place, but I hope that the pages are exactly the same. I hope the page numbering is the same, too. Anyway, tell me if you have troubles with any volumes.

I’m afraid it all looks cumbersome, but I assure you it will be very convenient once we’ve adjusted it. And I hope you’ll enjoy AHK, too. :) Feel free to ask me if any question arises.

Code:
#NoTrayIcon

; FULL PATHS HAVE TO BE PROVIDED!

; The volumes
DictPath1 = ...\Forcellini_AC.pdf
DictPath2 = ...\Forcellini_DK.pdf
DictPath3 = ...\Forcellini_LQ.pdf
DictPath4 = ...\Forcellini_RZ.pdf

; The index files
DictIndex1 = ...\Forcellini1.txt
DictIndex2 = ...\Forcellini2.txt
DictIndex3 = ...\Forcellini3.txt
DictIndex3 = ...\Forcellini4.txt

SetTitleMatchMode, 2

; creating index
PageCount = 0
Loop, Read, %DictIndex1%
	PageCount++, Page%PageCount% := SubStr(A_LoopReadLine, 4, 3)+1, Word%PageCount% := SubStr(A_LoopReadLine, 8)
Loop, Read, %DictIndex2%
	PageCount++, Page%PageCount% := SubStr(A_LoopReadLine, 4, 3), Word%PageCount% := SubStr(A_LoopReadLine, 8)
Loop, Read, %DictIndex3%
	PageCount++, Page%PageCount% := SubStr(A_LoopReadLine, 4, 4), Word%PageCount% := SubStr(A_LoopReadLine, 9)
Loop, Read, %DictIndex4%
	PageCount++, Page%PageCount% := SubStr(A_LoopReadLine, 4, 4), Word%PageCount% := SubStr(A_LoopReadLine, 9)

; creating GUI
Gui, Add, Edit, vLookup
Gui, Add, Button, Section Default, OK
Gui, Add, Button, ys gClose, Close
Gui, Show

Return

ButtonOK:
Gui, Submit, NoHide
CurrentWord = %Lookup%
GuiControl, Focus, Lookup
Gosub, OK3
Return

OK3: ; Forcellini
i = 0
Loop
{
	i++
	If (Word%i% >= Lookup) Or (i = PageCount)
		Break
}
Clipboard := Page%i%
If (i <= 932)
{
	VolumePath := DictPath1
	Volume = Forcellini_AC
} 
Else If (i <= 1905)
{
	VolumePath := DictPath2
	Volume = Forcellini_DK
}
Else If (i <= 2935)
{
	VolumePath := DictPath3
	Volume = Forcellini_LQ
}
Else
{
	VolumePath := DictPath4
	Volume = Forcellini_RZ
}
IfWinNotExist, %Volume%
	Run, %VolumePath%
WinWait, %Volume%
WinActivate, %Volume%

; Edit1 for SumatraPDF
; Use the Window Spy to detect the name of the page number edit of your default PDF viewer

ControlFocus, Edit1, A
SendInput, ^{sc1E}^{sc2F}{Enter}
Return

Close:
ExitApp
return

Attachments

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hi, I'm looking for Latin/Latin dictionary. Latin Dictionary in which Latin entries/words will be explained in Latin language only.

I've always wanted one. Not much, but the closest I've found, and aparently useful is the Victionarium... https://la.wiktionary.org/wiki/Victionarium:Pagina_prima

You throw a word in Latin, and there comes an explaination in Latin of that word. (With --unfortunately-- translations below, but as they --fortunately-- come bellow, you can not pay attention to them.)

I'd like to have a verborum copia in paper, but for now I guess this is it.

Cheers from sunny Rio, Br.
Gus

D

Deleted member 13757

Godmy where did you find the digital version?

It is very cool. Where can I download it?

D

Deleted member 13757

I need a full corpus. When I saw the quality I was suprised and excited.

I do NLP & ML work on extant latin texts (the entire latinlibary.com, perseus and what ever else I find online, I scan and crawl)

There is a lot of new research in the field.

Simply put, we need to get to the point where we can do quality math on the latin language as well.

Just like we can on English.

king - man + woman = queen

Wait, we can. Great work from Google, Facebook and many others etc...

rex - vir + femina = regina
rex - vir + mulier = regina
mater - mulier + vir = pater

etc..

The work done by Facebook team is especially interesting because they capture some grammatical information as well.

You can try them out https://fasttext.cc/docs/en/crawl-vectors.html

Still, while other languages benefit from the immense volume of text to learn from, extant languages lag behind.

It's about capturing "human knowlege" which good dicrionaries have.

Training a model, say, purely on a Forcelli without mixing other coprora. What will the model learn?

It's beyond synonyms and most frequently used grammatical cases. It's more.

An explanation of a word, in it's own language. That's human knowledge, a great bias to try and compensate for the lack of training data.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Thank you for all your contributions in regards to linguax.com, Tlepolemus (maybe in a different thread, not sure), I've been a bit overwhelmed of late, but I will go over every single thing that has been suggested to me in regards to linguax.com or Forcellini (in cases of fixing stuff).