Latin minimal pairs distinguished only by vowel length

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Not every single -o, but the -o of 1st person singular verbs, the -o of future imperatives (memento), and the -o of a nominative singular (like in Naso) can be both long or short*
Ita est. In ablativo casu non fit, quoad sciam, nisi apud seriores poetas ::D — valde seros dico, ut puta quarti quintive saeculi... (Non tamen accurate scio, quis quandove id primo fecerit.)

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

ēlāte voc. sg. masc. p.p.p. efferō.
elatē fem. sg. nom. 'fir tree' (loan from Greek ἐλάτη).
Hence also ēlātīs vs. elatīs.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

Granted they're not distinguished by the length of a single vowel, but they are distinguished only by vowel length.

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

cēdo ‘I walk’
cĕdo ’give!’
Is the last vowel of the latter short or long?
Secundum Gaffiot, corrupta est. Quoniam terminatio verbi anceps est, unâ et dimidiâ longitudine differunt. :D
Saepe in librōs histōriam linguae tractantēs, huius verbī mentiō fit ad praebendum exemplum correptiōnis iambicae (quae nōn poētica sed historica), eaedem quae ē duenē et malē quoque contulit bene et male. Sānē vērō remānsit quod multō ūsitātum, etsī ce dare iam nōn adhibēbātur. Orīgō enim invenītur apud *ce 'hīc' (ut in ecce, hunc, hocc(e), huiusce modī) atque *dō 'dā', imperātīvus antīquissimus verbī dare quī fōrmam *deh3 aliter exspectātam indoeuropaeam ostenderet.

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hasn't that been mentioned above?
You mentioned iambic shortening in your post, yes, but I figured I could mention more detail while specifying the diachronic iambic shortening of duenē > bene was involved here, not the poetic one of the Plautine vidĕn hánc (u u —) or volŏ scī´re (u u — u).

B

Bitmap

I've always considered iambic shortening a real-life phenomenon, not a poetic licence. I would have thought that at least in volo, many speakers on the street also pronounced 2 short syllables (seeing as it just occurs to often).

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I've always considered iambic shortening a real-life phenomenon, not a poetic licence. I would have thought that at least in volo, many speakers on the street also pronounced 2 short syllables (seeing as it just occurs to often).
I think that's likely true, I hadn't thought of that before. There might not be overwhelming ancient evidence for it, but reduction in unstressed words can be easily observed in today's languages. For one ancient example, many if not most Romance languages eliminated the -g- in egō after all, and then they often reduced the -ō to a semivowel, as in Portuguese eu [ew]. In some it went away entirely, as in the stressed jé and gié found in medieval Oïl alongside éo, jéo and jo (modern French je).

The claim being made here is that cedo might've had two short vowels even in careful pronunciation, just as bene did.

B

Bitmap

the -g- in egō
The o in ego is short as well (so far, I haven't found a single instance in poetry where it's long, so I guess it pretty much reflects actual speech) ... that's what I mean by iambic shortening happening so often.

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The o in ego is short as well (so far, I haven't found a single instance in poetry where it's long, so I guess it pretty much reflects actual speech) ... that's what I mean by iambic shortening happening so often.
Oh! That's interesting... I looked up the entry in L&S and it does mention "ŏ always in poets of the best age, as Cat., Verg., Hor., etc.; ō ante-class. and post-Aug., as Juv. 17, 357; Aus. Epigr. 54, 6". Most Latin textbooks, at least those in English, use the -ō variant. I was able to find an instance of it in Martial IV.72, but Martial otherwise mostly uses short -ŏ:

— u u | — — | — u u | — u u | — u u | — —
‘Aes dabŏ prō nūgīs et emam tua carmina sānus?
— — | — u u | — | — u u | — u u | —
Nōn’ inquis ‘faciam tam fatuē.’ Nec egō.
(EDIT: the last line is actually "(u) | x" for egō/egŏ, as corrected by Pacifica and Bitmap below.)

And yet again here I note the short -ŏ of dăbŏ...

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The length of the last syllable of a line never matters, so you can't tell from that example.

B

Bitmap

Oh! That's interesting... I looked up the entry in L&S and it does mention "ŏ always in poets of the best age, as Cat., Verg., Hor., etc.; ō ante-class. and post-Aug., as Juv. 17, 357; Aus. Epigr. 54, 6". Most Latin textbooks, at least those in English, use the -ō variant. I was able to find an instance of it in Martial IV.72, but Martial otherwise mostly uses short -ŏ:

— u u | — — | — u u | — u u | — u u | — —
‘Aes dabŏ prō nūgīs et emam tua carmina sānus?
— — | — u u | — | — u u | — u u | —
Nōn’ inquis ‘faciam tam fatuē.’ Nec egō.

And yet again here I note the short -ŏ of dăbŏ...
That's not an example of a long o in ego. The last syllable in a pentameter can be short (Ovid, for example, has lots of pentameters ending with pede).

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hmm, yeah. After Pacifica posted that, I found the last syllable of a dactylic pentametre is usually but not always long... The more you know. Thanks!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It's the same in all kinds of classical Latin verse, I believe, not only in pentameters. The last syllable can just be anything.

B

Bitmap

It's the same in all kinds of classical Latin verse, I believe, not only in pentameters. The last syllable can just be anything.
That's true.
It's also true that you sometimes observe some tendency, though. Some schemes try to account for this by putting a macron below a breve to indicate that the syllable is usually long, and vice versa to show that it is usually short ... like this one:

... although you could argue that that scheme shows more of an ideal than the actually reality ... I think in order to make the claim that the last syllable in a pentameter is *usually* long, you would have to consider all closed syllables at the end of a line to be long by position.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I think in order to make the claim that the last syllable in a pentameter is *usually* long, you would have to consider all closed syllables at the end of a line to be long by position.
But they are.

Though I hate that term "long by position"; it's so inexact.