Latin music

efilzeo

Maybe there is already a thread about this argument, but I didn't find it as I mean it.

Let's collect here Latin musics, whatever genre it is. I wanna do it to find new music I don't know and to don't forget ones I found.

I really like this one, even if they pronounce a bit strangely to me.

And also this one.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Among the suggestions at the end of the lecture of Efilzeo's second video, I adivise you all to listen to in taberna. It's terrific.

With the lyrics:
And remixed versions:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

:D:D:D Just too excellent!!! Ridendo morior!

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

I love Orff but the original Carmina are even more interesting IMO :)

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Oh and Hildegard Von Bingen, a true genius of her time:

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Cat Stevens, o caritas. I think I mentioned this one on another similar thread: but here's the track from YouTube. There's one grammatical error, and some odd pronunciation at times, but I'm kind of fond of it. OK, I'm a rabid Cat Stevens fan. There, I've said it.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Omnia res ---> omnes res

But I like it.

Gregorius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

There are always my lyric adaptations, though most of them have yet to be performed. Here are a couple where I got lucky in finding a willing vocalist:

"A Whole New World" from Disney's Aladdin

"My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic

Taylor Swift's "Love Story" (yet to be recorded; currently just lyrics synchronized with English vocals)

And of course, there's a link to my latest song adaptation in my signature!

More Disney tunes in Latin: http://www.youtube.com/O1ivette

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Omnia res ---> omnes res
Yes, that's the 'howler'. Also I think 'de terraque maribus' is meant as 'de terra et maribus'. Other than that it's just a bit odd, but nothing you couldn't make sense of.
From the English transcription towards the end: "Oh this world is burning fast / Oh this world will never relax." For 'relax' read 'last'.
It could be silly and pretentious, but the vocal performance carries it (for me, anyway).

Meanwhile, here's an obvious one that hasn't been mentioned before, I think: Stravinsky's Oedipus Rex, written in excellent Latin (by Jean Danielou, translating from Cocteau's French).
As a taster, try the bit where the truth finally dawns on Oedipus (wind through to 47:19)
natus sum, quo nefastum est. concubui cui nefastum est. cecidi quem nefastum est. lux facta est.

For something a bit more meaty, go to about 29:45, where Jocasta tells off Oedipus and Tiresias for arguing in public (nonne erubescite clamare in aegra urbe); then she decries the falsity of oracles (ne probentur oracula quae semper mentiantur). That was always one of may favourite bits.

I guess you've got to like opera a bit to like this: personally I'm not an operamane, but there are some I do like and this is definitely one.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

What is Japanese doing in Oedipus?

I really love this one:

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Oh, yeah, I didn't explain about the Japanese: in addition to the Latin, which is sung, there's a narrator who explains what's about to happen, in a modern language. Since this is a Japanese-style production (may even have been done in Japan), naturally the narrator speaks Japanese. Just wind past those bits (unless you like them)...
I seem to remember that Stravinsky was opposed to the narrator idea. An early example of someone deliberately using Latin for obfuscation. Prestige too; but distance.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I chanced upon another version of totus floreo which is great:

Schatzl

Ever since I visited this thread, tempus est iocundum has been constantly running through my head...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Another version of in taberna (maybe they pronounce a little strangely in the beginning of the song but nevermind, I like it):