Latin music

Dido

This is the song that made me want to learn Latin, five years ago :)

Later on I stumbled upon Paul Schwartz. You either hate it, or you love it, there's no inbetween ;) Never mind the stupid video.

Dido

Not Latin but Latin related. This is Anneke van Giersbergen, frontwoman of the Dutch metalband The Gathering, singing When I am laid in earth. I love it!

Arca Defectionis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

This is cheesy, but for all the gamers here, did you know the Super Smash Bros. Brawl theme was in Latin?!

Lyrics:

Audi famam illius. Solus in hostes ruit et patriam servavit.
Audi famam illius. Cucurrit quaeque tetigit destruens.
Audi famam illius (audi famam illius)
Spes omnibus mihi quoque, terror omnibus mihi quoque, ille
Iuxta me, ille!
Socii sunt mihi, qui olim viri fortes rivalesque erant.
Saeve certando pugnandoque splendor crescit.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

I read that Masahiro Sakurai (the creator of both Kirby and Super Smash Bros.) wanted the Super Smash Bros. Brawl theme in Latin, since he got interested in Nobuo Uematsu's Dancing Mad and One Wing Angel (Uematsu also composed the Super Smash Bros. Brawl theme on the request of Sakurai, as Sakurai is a fan of Uematsu's composition of Final Fantasy music).

Stultus Jacobus

• Patronus

Im a bit surprised no one has posed the videos from the Accademia Vivarium Novum, they have a series of Latin music videos on youtube.
this one is my favorite (and NOT just because it is the only one I can understand with some semblance of clarity ;)) you can fine the others at this link: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1273E23FBFFABCA8

Iordanus

There are always my lyric adaptations, though most of them have yet to be performed. Here are a couple where I got lucky in finding a willing vocalist:

"A Whole New World" from Disney's Aladdin

"My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic

Taylor Swift's "Love Story" (yet to be recorded; currently just lyrics synchronized with English vocals)

And of course, there's a link to my latest song adaptation in my signature!

More Disney tunes in Latin: http://www.youtube.com/O1ivette
They are absolutely perfect! They sound like as if you wrote the actual songs! :)

I'm searching for music with Latin lyrics. I know about Liturgical chant but are there other kinds of music with Latin lyrics?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

carmina burana

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Merged threads

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Doesn't it upset you, the way they always stress the wrong syllables? The way they stretch out the short ones, and skip over the long ones?
o vaaariUM fortune luBRIIIcum
daaans duuubiUM tribunal iiiUDicum

huic they sing as two longs; colere and petere with a stress on the final syllable. With "Prepostere" which could have fitted easily to their metre (e.g. preeePOSTere), they managed to shift the emphasis onto prepostEEEre. 'de stercorEEEE paupEEEErem erIIIgens, de rhetorEEE consUUUlem elIIIgens'.

This sort of thing doesn't bother me with Stravinsky -- there's plenty of similar distortions of accent and quantity in the Symphony of Psalms, for instance. I wonder why I accept it there and not here. Partly because I think Stravinsky made the choice deliberately, as part of his general programme of questioning and rethinking musical 'givens'; and suspect that this group do it out of ignorance, carelessness, who-gives-a-shit. And that makes me angry, because I think, why bother doing it in Latin then? And finally the awful pomposity of the music hits me: ah, that's why they do it -- obfuscation and faux grandeur. A bit like all those Latin tattoos.

It never makes me happy to dislike something -- especially knowing how hard these things are to do at all.

Stravinsky: exaudi orationem meam domine...
(singing starts at 0.49)

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

The way they stretch out the short ones, and skip over the long ones?
It happens when choirs sing in English too. I've never heard a choir yet that doesn't pronounce "him" "heem" in the refrain "O come let us adore him" from "O come, all ye faithful". So much for the efforts made to teach foreign learners the difference between "ship" and "sheep" etc.
Stravinsky: exaudi orationem meam domine...
I'm sure they say orationem meum the first time they sing it. I haven't listened to the rest.

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Well, it's more the way the tune is written in the first place. At least 'O come all ye' lands on the right accents.

Not sure whether the Stravinsky choir is doing meum or meam -- pretty similar sound, especially unstressed. They're reading off sheet music, so they'll have 'meam' written in front of them.