Latin music

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Horace:
(Just I think there shouldn't be such a great silence between inlacrimabilem and plutona, as if they had nothing to do with each other)
Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni nec pietas moram
rugis et instanti senectae
adferet indomitaeque morti,
non, si trecenis quotquot eunt dies, 5
amice, places inlacrimabilem
Plutona tauris, qui ter amplum
Geryonen Tityonque tristi
compescit unda, scilicet omnibus
quicumque terrae munere uescimur 10
enauiganda, siue reges
siue inopes erimus coloni.
Frustra cruento Marte carebimus
fractisque rauci fluctibus Hadriae,
frustra per autumnos nocentem 15
corporibus metuemus Austrum:
uisendus ater flumine languido
Cocytos errans et Danai genus
infame damnatusque longi
Sisyphus Aeolides laboris. 20
Linquenda tellus et domus et placens
uxor, neque harum quas colis arborum
te praeter inuisas cupressos
ulla breuem dominum sequetur;
absumet heres Caecuba dignior 25
seruata centum clauibus et mero
tinguet pauimentum superbo,
pontificum potiore cenis.

D

Deleted member 13757

(Just I think there shouldn't be such a great silence between inlacrimabilem and plutona

:)

The whole thing is forced and mispronounced horribly.

Just an FYI, if anyone wants to listen to this alcaic beat, listen to Vojin Nedeljkovic. He is good, even if a little monotone for my taste.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Super Furry Animals - Sarn Helen:

This is the Super Furry Animals attempt at Roman music. Its about a Roman road that runs through England & Wales. Its sang in Welsh but its really worth a listen. Below is a comment about the song by the frontman extraordinaire himself.

"It's hilarious trying to get from North to South Wales which is about 180 miles. You can't do it by train and it takes about five hours in a car. It's a nostalgic song about Roman times. The last ever Roman edifice was built in North Wales in Penmachno, but they didn't know that Rome had fallen when they did it.

AND NOBODY KNOWS SYNAULIA???
It's a musical group which uses latin music instruments: they invent music but they play them with ancient music instruments!

Here's a song:
Brilliant.

Kapooky

With Lyrics!!! The show is very disturbing yet very emotional...nevertheless I greatly enjoyed it.
One day when my Latin is proficient, I will finally figure out the subterranean meaning.
Edit: DAMMIT THEY HAVE THE ENGLISH TRANSLATION UNDERNEATH THE LATIN -.-
I'll still try to translate it :p

Ater Gladius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Elfen Lied is something that I have recommended, and will recommend, to all ACG fans. The manga ending is quite different from anime, so you may want to read both.

Japanese people has the habit of mispronouncing other language, but still, it is better than Guilty Crown's Bios, in which the German is pronounced in the most ghastly, hellish and awful way possible.

Kapooky

Elfen Lied is something that I have recommended, and will recommend, to all ACG fans. The manga ending is quite different from anime, so you may want to read both.

Japanese people has the habit of mispronouncing other language, but still, it is better than Guilty Crown's Bios, in which the German is pronounced in the most ghastly, hellish and awful way possible.
I've read the manga for Elfen Lied. It's more freaky at the end.

Guilty Crown is such a good a song! How can you rebuke it's glory? :p

Ater, I thought the Japanese would hire a Latinist to sing the Latin? I guess not. It kind of sucks to know that all the diverse songs in anime are are actually sung by the Japanese themselves.

And never mind about my previous comment, I agree with you, after listening to Bios. The "Licking chocolate in my drainage" part screwed the song up.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

At least Masahiro Sakurai found a good Latinist who can translate between Japanese and Latin without relying on an intermediary language and Nobuo Uematsu found Japanese people who can sing in Latin fluently (including yes, differentiating between "l" and "r").

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Ater, I thought the Japanese would hire a Latinist to sing the Latin? I guess not. It kind of sucks to know that all the diverse songs in anime are are actually sung by the Japanese themselves.
Are there no Japanese who are also Latinists?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Am surprised that nobody's posted any of the Mediaeval Baebes' recordings yet; they're one of my favorite crossover early music/folk music groups. They sing mainly Middle English lyrics, but occasionally do Latin (with some Italian, Old Irish, Medieval French and probably others tossed into the mix...)

One in Middle English/Latin:

I find this one particularly haunting:

"Memento homo, quod cinis es, et in cinerem reverteris."

And now something more cheerful ;) (This one has a particularly neat rhythmic structure...)

(One caveat: I've seen their Latin pronunciation critiqued online before, though I don't know enough about Classical/Ecclesiastical Latin pronunciation to tell -- so be warned ;) )

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Believe me or not, I'm an atheist, but I like the sound of this:
Pacis puella, I know this is an old post, but the video (apparently) no longer exists and I'm just curious what it was, if you remember...? (I have a musical background, so this thread is particularly interesting to me...)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It was this, I think:
Crucem sanctam subiit
qui infernum confregit,
accinctus est potentia
surrexit die tertia
Alleluia.
Surrexit Christus et illuxit populo suo
quem redemit sanguine suo, alleluia

Crucem sanctam...
Surrexit Christus iam non moritur,
mors illi ultra non dominabitur, alleluia.

Crucem sanctam...
Surrexit Christus, lapidem quem reprobaverunt
edificantes hic factus est in caput anguli.
Alleluia!

Crucem sanctam subiit
qui infernum confregit,
accinctus est potentia
surrexit die tertia

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

This is what I'm listening to today...one of my favorite Bach works ever (and one of the few Latin texts he set; he mostly did German.)

(I find the fractals distracting, so ignore them if you want. The music is the main thing :) )