Latin phrase from Black Death film original soundtracks

Ugly Duckling

Hi,

I'd like to know what is the phrase in latin in the Black Death film original soundtracks, and what does it mean in english, please. I don't speak latin and I haven't found any lyrics nor translation on Internet, so, I hope you'll help me.

Thank you and best regards,

B

Bitmap

I can't distinguish a single word. Are you sure this is Latin in the first place?

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

... it seems to be some monk pray in a middle age context. ...
Very good guess!!! First video: I think there can't be any doubt that we are hearing monks singing phrases belonging to the following Roman Catholic prayer (confession of sins): cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confiteor
Confíteor Deo omnipoténti
et vobis, fratres,
quia peccávi nimis
cogitatióne, verbo,
ópere et omissióne:
mea culpa, mea culpa,
mea máxima culpa.

Ideo precor beátam Maríam semper vírginem,
omnes angelos et sanctos,
et vos, fratres,
oráre pro me ad Dóminum Deum nostrum.
I confess to almighty God
and to you, my brothers [and sisters],
that I have greatly sinned,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and in what I have failed to do,
through my fault, through my fault,
through my most grievous fault;
therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
all the Angels and Saints,
and you, my brothers [and sisters],
to pray for me to the Lord our God.

Last edited:

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

That is the Confiteor, but it's the old version they're singing, not the one from the Novus Ordo Missae.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

The very slow pace sounds like Carthusian chant.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

The beginning. I'm on my phone atm, but when I'm on the computer I'll give you a fuller answer.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I take that back. It's not the Confiteor from the Old Latin Mass either. I can't find a copy pf it online, so here's the best version I can make out before the music takes over and deafens me.

Confiteor Deo omnipotenti, Beatae Mariae semper virgini, omnibus Sanctis, et vobis fratres, quia peccavi nimis cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa, ideo precor Beatam Mariam semper viriginem, Beatum Michaelem Archangelum, Beatum Johannem Baptistam, Sanctos Apostolos Petrum et Paulum, omnes Sanctos et vos, fratres, orare pro me ad [Dominum Deum nostrum.]

The bit in brackets I didn't hear clearly, but that would be the expected ending. My ears cave in at about 1:11.

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Verba carminis diligentissime eruisti: gratulor.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I take that back. It's not the Confiteor from the Old Latin Mass either. I can't find a copy pf it online, so here's the best version I can make out before the music takes over and deafens me.

Confiteor Deo omnipotenti, Beatae Mariae semper virgini, omnibus Sanctis, et vobis fratres, quia peccavi nimis cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa, ideo precor Beatam Mariam semper viriginem, Beatum Michaelem Archangelum, Beatum Johannem Baptistam, Sanctos Apostolos Petrum et Paulum, omnes Sanctos et vos, fratres, orare pro me ad [Dominum Deum nostrum.]

The bit in brackets I didn't hear clearly, but that would be the expected ending. My ears cave in at about 1:11.
Isn't it this one, with some parts taken away?

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I don't think so. It's definitely a variation within the tradition of the Roman Rite, though. The closest I can find is the from the Carthusian Mass, but it's not a complete match either.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

This is the Dominican confiteor, which is really truncated.

Confiteor Deo omnipotenti, et beatae Mariae semper virgini, et beato Dominico patri nostro, et omnibus sanctis, et vobis, fratres, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, locutione, opere et omissione, mea culpa; precor vos orare pro me.