Latin Phrase In A Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManDrake

I recently had a dream where a latin phrase became stuck in my head as soon as I woke up: saeptus, serrēmus, surrectus. I have looked into some basic definitions on what this means, but I'm not sure that it is proper latin. Could someone give me a basic translation on this? I have no idea how this got stuck in my head - I have never learned any latin. I am, however, very interested in Greek and Roman history. Is this a phrase I could have picked up from somewhere/someone/something?

Thanks!

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

If you heard it in a dream, then can you please upload an audio file for us?

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I can't help you with its provenance: it doesn't make any real sense as you have it, nor can I guess what it ought to be.
saeptus = fenced in
serremus = let us saw / we would saw
surrectus = raised up
The words don't work together grammatically as a sentence.

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

Trolled again! :crazy:

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Cursor Nictans dixit:
Trolled again! :crazy:
Either he's on the level, in which case I've done what he asked for; or he's pulling my leg, in which case I have lost precisely 4 minutes of my time. And discovered something while I was at it (didn't know that surgo was ever used transitively).
Why is everyone so paranoid about trolls?

ManDrake

socratidion dixit:
I can't help you with its provenance: it doesn't make any real sense as you have it, nor can I guess what it ought to be.
saeptus = fenced in
serremus = let us saw / we would saw
surrectus = raised up
The words don't work together grammatically as a sentence.
Thanks! The first thing I was reminded of was something similar to "veni, vidi, vici". I'm assuming you mean "saw", as in literally sawing something - like a tree. I suppose I was hoping that it somehow translated to something inspiring and meaningful along the lines of being fenced in (figuratively), cut/knocked down(figuratively), but rising up again. Oh well. Thanks again for your time.

:hi:

Out of curiosity, is there proper latin to convey such a statement?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

ManDrake dixit:
Cinefactus dixit:
If you heard it in a dream, then can you please upload an audio file for us?
If that's a joke, then can you please make it funny?
If you heard the words in your dream then presumably you should be able to pronounce them for us. The fact that you put the macron over one of the letters indicates strongly that you picked the word out of a dictionary and you are just trying to be smart. This is why CN (amongst others) thinks that you are trolling.

If you want to request a translation, just put what you want in English in the English to Latin Translation forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.