Latin possum vs English position and poise

NC

Is there an affinity between the Latin "possum" and the English words position and poise? What is the Latin route of these two words?

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Position is derived from pono, ponere, posui, positus (to put, place, etc.) I think. Poise I'm not sure, but I doubt it's from Latin. Not all words are derived from Latin; a little over 50% are, however.

Possum, however, is from possum, posse, potui, meaning to be able.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I don't have a copy of the Oxford English Dictionary here, but my software dictionary states that poise comes through late Middle English from Old French pois or peis meaning a weight, or peser meaning to weigh, which words originated from the Latin pensum and pendere...

JD

NC

How about the word disposition? Is the derivation from pono or from the French instead?

Btw, how are pono, ponere and posui pronounced?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I think as a general rule the -ion words in English come from Latin verbs, this particular one from disponere meaning a number of things including to dispose or to manage.

My dictionary does mention that it comes into English via Old French.

JD

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Pono: POE-no.
Ponere: POE-neh-ray.
Posui:
Here's where it gets a little tricky. I'm not sure if the "ui" is a diphthong here or not, and I think that's a pronunciation that varies from time period to time period. I'm just going to give both:
POE-swee.
POE-sue-ee.
Positus: POE-sih-tuhs.

Those are just the principal parts of the verb; it's all the same word, essentially.

And touché about poise; I stand corrected.