APPIVS CLAVDIVS C F CAECVS

J.M

Latin stone.jpg

Greetings to all Latin D members,
Today I would like the Latin script on the image to be translated into English if possible. I found the image on the net whilst searching for something of the likes and could only translate parts of it myself as my Latin knowledge is not yet perfect. I would appreciate if someone could help me with this one,

Thank you as always,
J.M

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"Appius Claudius Caecus, son of Gaius, censor, twice consul, dictator, thrice interrex, twice praetor, twice curule aedile, thrice military tribune*, captured numerous towns from the Samnites, crushed the army of the Sabines and Tuscans, stopped peace from being made with King Pyrrhus; during his censorship, he paved the Via Appia and brought water into the City; he built a temple to Bellona."

*I'm not sure what the O before TR. MIL. stands for, so I left it out. Optimus...? It's likely that a translation of the whole thing can be found somewhere anyway, as this isn't just some obscure inscription; this Appius is famous; but I don't want to spend time searching right now.

Last edited:

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Yay, Roman writings heard from thee, no more writings from old Germany!

J.M

"Appius Claudius Caecus, son of Gaius, censor, twice consul, dictator, thrice interrex, twice praetor, twice curule aedile, thrice military tribune*, captured numerous towns from the Samnites, crushed the army of the Sabines and Tuscans, stopped peace from being made with King Pyrrhus; during his censorship, he paved the Via Appia and brought water into the City; he built a temple to Bellona."

*I'm not sure what the O before TR. MIL. stands for, so I left it out. Optimus...? It's likely that a translation of the whole thing can be found somewhere anyway, as this isn't just some obscure inscription; this Appius is famous; but I don't want to spend time searching right now.
Thank you Pacifica,
J.M

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I'm not sure what the O before TR. MIL. stands for
It could be a Q rather than an O, actually. If so, it must stand for qui, and that would give:

Appius Claudius Caecus, son of Gaius, censor, twice consul, dictator, thrice interrex, twice praetor, twice curule aedile, who, as thrice a military tribune, captured numerous towns from the Samnites, crushed the army of the Sabines and Tuscans, stopped peace from being made with King Pyrrhus, and, during his cencorship, paved the Via Appia and brought water into the City, built a temple to Bellona.

Reactions: J.M

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

In that case:

Appius Claudius Caecus, son of Gaius, censor, twice consul, dictator, thrice interrex, twice praetor, twice curule aedile, quaestor, thrice military tribune, captured numerous towns from the Samnites, crushed the army of the Sabines and Tuscans, stopped peace from being made with King Pyrrhus; during his censorship, he paved the Via Appia and brought water into the City; he built a temple to Bellona.

Cambrinus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It's not an O, but a Q and means quaestor.

Reactions: J.M