LAVS DEO or LAUS DEO

rodrigo.hdezr

Plan on getting a tattoo with the phrase "LAVS DEO"

I would like it to resemble ancient latin stone carving and therefore plan on getting all caps and a lapidary font.

I've been told the correct lettering is laus Deo, however, I've come across several pictures of carvings using LAVS DEO.

I came across some posts here saying that if you are to use all caps, it is better to use V instead of U, also if it were to resemble ancient latin stone script, a V instead of U would be more appropriate

I just want to make sure this applies to this phrase in particular and if I am on the right track...

Would really appreciate some help,

Thanks!

Attachments

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, if you want it to look like an ancient Roman inscription, and if you use caps, you must write U as V. You can look at the link in my signature if you're curious about more detail on the history of spelling... But in any case, ancient Roman caps = LAVS DEO. You can add an interpunct too.

rodrigo.hdezr

Thanks a lot for replying

I dont know why I had trouble remembering the word "inscription" when I posted this, but am glad to see you understood what I meant

thanks again, appreciate it !

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
You are welcome!

Not that it is a pleasure to ask you this, but the site is having trouble and needs money, so if you think it's helpful and if you can afford to, please consider making a donation, even a very tiny minuscule little thing (a little+a little+a little... = a lot).