let sleeping dogs lay/lie

A

Anonymous

Greetings All; I am a newbie here, this is my first post. I live and work in BeiJing as an educator at BeiJing University. Retired for the two years in Korea and going on four years is China. Originally from Calgary Canada.
Do I understand probably incorrectly the phrase "nomulus (Romulus) leges angliae mutari", to mean "let sleeping dogs lay/lie"? I believe that there should be the use of the noun canus is this expression.
Do not plan for this to be a single forum query. See how it goes. Happy Trails, Richard

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

Welcome to the forum, zybibyz; I hope you enjoy your stay.

Looking at the phrase you posted--nomulus leges angliae mutari--I admit I was puzzled until I checked around and found the phrase was actually Nolumus leges Angliae mutari - "We don't want the laws of England to change." It is famous in English history as the reply King Charles I gave to Parliament when they attempted to limit the king's power ("We" in this case is the royal "we", i.e. "I"). The immediate result was the English Civil War, which ended rather badly for Charles (he was beheaded seven years later).

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Well, this is quite a memorable phrase, I'd have to say :shock:
Welcome to our forum zybibyz.