Let us hear and analyse each other's Latin pronunciation

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

In most cases the shortened final -o is from 'iambic' shortening, isn't it? In later texts (eg. Symphosius' riddles) it spreads to ō after a heavy syllable as well, but this is hardly a classical phenomenon. mihi is found very early, and is pretty much regular; at least, 38x in the Eclogues vs. mihī 3x (of course, the former might just be more convenient in hexameter). crēdō is obviously rarer in Vergil, but the two instances in the Georgics and Eclogues both scan - -.

B

Bitmap

In most cases the shortened final -o is from 'iambic' shortening, isn't it?

From the examples I gave above, only cito could be explained by iambic shortening. Words like nemo, Sulmo, Naso, nescio are not iambic.
And regarding iambic shortening: As I said, that feature did not just seem to be a poetic licence, but something that seemed pretty common in regular speech as well, to the extent that some formerly iambic words (like modo or ego) had completely dropped the length on the o by Augustean times.

I've also noticed that some dictionaries (like Georges or Lewis & Short) give words like crēdo without the length on the o.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Alright, I read your explanations properly today... fair enough!

Btw., if a discussion about this phenomenon is going to develop in here, could the next debater start a new thread in the pronunciation section? Let's leave this one for recordings and reviews (also, so I don't get notifications).

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Please, keep the posts to this thread to MP3 uploads and reviews, thank you.
Of course. ( I'm sorry if this post itself breaks that.)
Only reacting to his singing. It reminded Me of a war song in a Vulgar type of Latin.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I've used similar sites before, but not that exact one, I think.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

(I believe I need a better microphone...) :think:

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I prefer the built-in programs.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I prefer the built-in programs.

Issacus... is that you?? (Of course it is, Gustavo!...) I didn't recognize you at first, because of the new picture... o_O

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Cogitatio prima. (I'm sorry about that... :neutral: )¹

____
¹brevity, lack of interesting things to say, doubt, and lack of quality for lack of equipment (and whatever else...)

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I can't listen to it right now, but I probably know what your point is. Are you sure? If you're using Windows 10, you can press the windows key, type "voice", and a recorder will pop up. ( I'm sorry I keep mentioning that to you, lol. I'm just an advocate for it, I guess.) But whatever works for you works.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

(Microphone, I believe, is the main (tecnical) problem. (Lack of confidence the psychological problem.))

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Cogitatio prima. (I'm sorry about that... :neutral: )¹

____
¹brevity, lack of interesting things to say, doubt, and lack of quality for lack of equipment (and whatever else...)
I'm sorry, but I need you to send an mp3 (or other compressed audio file, wma, ogg). I also hope it's something under 1 minute and preferably a text which has been already published in this thread and thus marked for accents and long vowels (otherwise I would ask you to write also down what you read and mark the accents and long vowels the way I did). Thanks for respecting the rules! When you upload one, I'll gladly react. Until then, see you later!

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Somebody posted something in this format. I thought it was easier. I'm really sorry...

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Btw., I noticed, @Pacifica, as I was reading through the excerpts of your book you published so far, that you quite taught yourself the vowel lengths in the Latin vocabs :) That is, I presume (or maybe remember?) that you, as many many learners, learnt the words without it and then, at some point, had to painfully relearn* it all in some attempt for a better pronunciation (as did I). So, good job! (I mean, I can appreciate that :) )

*when i say relearn, I mean, relearn the pronunciation "image" one has in their mind of the word

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes, Godmy, that's right. I still need to look up many lengths.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Yes, Godmy, that's right. I still need to look up many lengths.
It helped me a lot when I would [text]chat in Latin daily with someone when I decided to write only ever with lengths, since that would force me to lookup the dictionary all the time. But it was/is true that I made it easy for myself, the Diogenes (L&S) is only one keyboard shortcut away from me and I was able to lookup a word in 3 seconds or so :p

^ but respect for that decision!

Initially, I learnt the most [vowel length/pronunciation wise] by reading LLPSI [again] aloud with the correct lengths this time (and stresses as well). Listening to myself somehow worked as if I listened to another speaker and I got used to the new sound of the words.

Last edited: