Liberate tuteme ex inferis

A

Anonymous

Hello everybody, I'd like to know if the sentence "liberate tute me ex inferis" is a grammatically exact translation of "save yourself from Hell"

Thank you very much.

Jean-Luc
Belgium

B

Bitmap

Re: liberate tute me ex inferis

no, it doesn't. With your choice of words it should be: Libera tete ex infernis

Chamaeleo

The n isn’t entirely necessary.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

This phrase if from a movie "Event Horizon".

Originally a rescue team thinks that someone says "Liberate me ex infernis" ("save me from hell"), but having paid attention they see that it was "Libera tutemet ex infernis" ("save yourself from hell")

Except that an online script has it as "liberatis" instead of "liberate", but we will forget about this one :doh:

Is "tutemet" really the best choice choise here? Wouldn't "liberate vos" have worked better?

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Not only is tu[temet] not the best choice here, it's positively incorrect.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

OK, not trusting online scripts this time... I pulled out the actual movie and found the quotes. And, no, I did not have anything better to do at 2:19 am.

The quote was "Liberate tuteme ex inferis". There is no mistake this time.

Is "tutemet" declinable? My dictionary doesn't have it :oops: and WORDS keeps breaking it down into parts :noclue:

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Tutemet is just an emphatic version of tu, and should be listed under it in a lexicon.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

So, it should be "libera te ex infer(n)is"?

I keep making mindless mistakes here...

B

Bitmap

if you want to add the over-emphasis, it would be "tetemet"

in tu-te-met only the very first word tu is declined
not sure if that word is actually found anywhere, though

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Tutemet can be found along with tute, though mostly in ante-classical texts (and as an archaism in Lucretius).

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

I tried to minimize the gore around the Latin phrase...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJAFuEuBqsE[/youtube]

B

Bitmap

sounds like "liberate tute me ex inferis" ... which makes no sense really. The plural imperative would also need a plural subject, i.e. vos and not tu

I cannot hear a /t/ at the end of "tute me" and the "me" would have to be short in "tutemet" - but it doesn't work either way, anyway.
Apart from that, they don't even stress ínferis right

Abbatiſſæ Scriptor

Senex

• Civis Illustris

I believe it might have been
LIBERA TEMET EX INFERNIS
mistaken for
LIBERATE ME EX INFERNIS
If the final 't' of 'temet' were unheard, it would indeed be easy to assume 'te' as pluralising the imperative, rather than being the direct object'.

Stefan Bach

"Libera te tutemet ex inferis!" - "Free you YOURSELF from hells!"

libera - verb, 2nd person singular present active imperative
te - pronoun, accusative singular (of "tu")
tutemet - pronoun (emphatic form of "tu")
ex - preposition (with ablative)
inferis - noun, ablative plural

John Sell 1990

Hello there guys!
I'm forming a band and the intention is to call it Ex Inferis, or Ex Inferi
The first apparently translates to From Below, the second From Hell
Can any one help with an accurate translation?

The above discussion is also intriguing, what would be correct? Libera tete ex inferis?

Raúl Moreno

In case someone reads this in the future, I'd like to add a summary as I myself had trouble getting all this right.
Sorry but I don't mention everyone who helped in this.

I'll be glad for any corrections, suggestions, etc. Thank you as I've learned a little bit of latin as this was fun :)

What is said in the movie according to the script (http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/e/event-horizon-script-transcript-neill.html) is:
------------------------------------------
I thought it said "liberate me"...
"Save me. "
But it's not "me. "
It's "liberate tutemet"...
"Save yourself. "
And it gets worse.
Liberate tutemet ex inferis.
------------------------------------------

According to wiktionary (Latin)
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/libera#Latin
libera = second-person singular present active imperative of līberō

and https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/liberate#Latin
liberate = second-person plural present active imperative of līberō

So
"liberate" is used for a plural subject, so "liberate me" correctly means "save me".
"tutemet" = tute+met is the empathic version of "tute", "tu", the second person singular pronoun.
So "liberate tutemet" is grammatically wrong because either you are talking to many and tell them to save themselves or to one and tell him to save himself.
The correct would be "libera temet", being "libera" the second-person singular present active imperative of līberō and "temet" the empathic version of "te", accusative singular pronoun.

I don't know latin, but for what I see in conjugation tables, I think "libera te tutemet" would be correct because "te" would be the accusative (who you have to save) and "tutemet" would be the subject who saves someone (yourself).
It surely is what Stefan Bach meant here:
THREAD: liberate-tuteme-ex-inferis
---------------------------------------------------
"Libera te tutemet ex inferis!" - "Free you YOURSELF from hells!"

libera - verb, 2nd person singular present active imperative
te - pronoun, accusative singular (of "tu")
tutemet - pronoun (emphatic form of "tu")
ex - preposition (with ablative)
inferis - noun, ablative plural
---------------------------------------------------
And I don't know if "tutemet" could also be considered the vocative here (it also declines like this) and still be correct.

So the only error in the script (if the captain was talking to a single person) would be they wrote "liberate" instead of "libera te"!! No big deal in the movie as sounds the same (unluckily, they do not accentuate correctly).

In case one doesn't like that "tutemet" because it's "superfluous" and makes the sentence to differ more from the one it was mistaken by, the other closest sounding correct latin sentence would be

"libera temet ex inferis" = "free yourself from the Lower Regions (Hell)" (talking to one person)

that in the movie is first mistaken by

"liberate me ex inferis" = "save me from the Lower Regions (Hell)" (talking to several people)

as Abbatiſſæ Scriptor indicates in THREAD: liberate-tuteme-ex-inferis.

As Abbatiſſæ Scriptor notes, both sentences only differ by one "t", instead of a whole "tute(me)t", so I think this solution would've been much better :s

As an extra, if the former gorged-out-eyes captain talked to several people I imagine it would have been "Liberate vos vosemet ex inferis" with the first approach, or "Liberate vosemet ex inferis" with the second, being "vosemet" the emphatic version of "vos", accusative plural pronoun.

And as Bitmap noted, the accentuation should be "líbera" (I add this) and "ínferis", as in latin (at least classic as long as I know, not in the "oldest one") the accent usually goes in the that syllable, with some exception rules.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

The te tutemet part is awkward but I suppose not ungrammatical as such. Scriptor's solution is good, but it would be more idiomatic Latin as Liberate me.../Libera temet [ipsum] ab inferis.

Also, the emphatic form of the second person plural pronoun is vosmet, not *vosemet.

Raúl Moreno

The te tutemet part is awkward but I suppose not ungrammatical as such. Scriptor's solution is good, but it would be more idiomatic Latin as Liberate me.../Libera temet [ipsum] ab inferis.

Also, the emphatic form of the second person plural pronoun is vosmet, not *vosemet.
Thank you for those hints!
And I didn't noticed I added that "e" to "vosmet". Unluckily I can't edit it now.