life and death walk hand in hand among the trouble of man

Dark_Angel

hey guys,

this is my first translation request, but i've looked at afew, and you guys look really skilled,

i would like to request the phrase
"life and death walk hand in hand among the trouble of man" in latin please,

i hope its not too much trouble

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

Vita et Mors manibus iunctis apud curas Hominum ambulant.

A good example here of the need to broaden one's view of the specific English words when translating. "Hand in hand" means "with hands joined", which gives us manibus junctis, while for "trouble" I assume these are more concretely the "cares" of man, hence curas.

Not much of a fan of placing et right after Vita, since this is a clash of vowels, but there it is. (Morsque just doesn't do it for me, since I presume the OP want something that emphasizes the equal yet separate nature of the personified Life and Death).

A

Anonymous

chjones dixit:
Vita et Mors manibus iunctis apud curas Hominum ambulant.

A good example here of the need to broaden one's view of the specific English words when translating. "Hand in hand" means "with hands joined", which gives us manibus junctis, while for "trouble" I assume these are more concretely the "cares" of man, hence curas.

Not much of a fan of placing et right after Vita, since this is a clash of vowels, but there it is. (Morsque just doesn't do it for me, since I presume the OP want something that emphasizes the equal yet separate nature of the personified Life and Death).

I'd just switch 'Mors' and 'Vita' round, at least that way you'd avoid the vowel clash. Plus 'Death & Life' walking hand in hand has a better ring to it me thinks.

Though your mileage may vary.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

As is so often the case, it depends on exactly what one is trying to say. But I would make a case for inter here rather than apud. At least one of the potential readings of the English-- that life and death are themselves to be counted among the troubles of man-- is lost with the apud, but retained with the inter, or so it seems to me.

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

Iynx dixit:
At least one of the potential readings of the English-- that life and death are themselves to be counted among the troubles of man-- is lost with the apud, but retained with the inter, or so it seems to me.
This is an excellent point; I was too immersed in the personification of "Life" and "Death" to notice, but "among" can be taken to mean "amid"=apud or "as one of" = inter. It is admittedly subtle, but the second is better if Life and Death are considered one of the many troubles of man.