Live Latin Chat / Latin IRC channel - split aka locus secretus

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Sure, but I mean rather that many moderns might see Latin usage in the Medieval or Renaissance periods as authoritative in a way that 21st century composers (of Latin) are not; for my part, I would not agree.
They probably shouldn't be seen as more authoritative than today's best Latinists. However, on statistical grounds, I'd sooner trust a random Renaissance Latinist than a random present-day Latinist, since really good Latinists were much more numerous then than now.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Sure, but I mean rather that many moderns might see Latin usage in the Medieval or Renaissance periods as authoritative in a way that 21st century composers (of Latin) are not; for my part, I would not agree.
Rather than authority, I think it's about accepting a later tradition and continuing it. You don't need authority for that as it is a matter of preference, besides it's a very minor thing in the end.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

Fair enough. I'm not terribly interested in carrying on the traditions of the European Renaissance, so it doesn't really matter to me. My point is that I wouldn't be any happier using 'locus secrētus' than 'foramen-hobbitum', regardless of what Luther, Petrarch, or Newton would say on the matter.

They probably shouldn't be seen as more authoritative than today's best Latinists. However, on statistical grounds, I'd sooner trust a random Renaissance Latinist than a random present-day Latinist, since really good Latinists were much more numerous then than now.
Quite: though I would trust you over Erasmus any day.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

My point is that I wouldn't be any happier using 'locus secrētus' than 'foramen-hobbitum'
I would, because locus secretus at least makes grammatical sense.
Quite: though I would trust you over Erasmus any day.
I haven't read Erasmus, but based on his reputation, I think you would be wrong.