Live life to the full(est)

A

Anonymous

hello everyone im getting a tattoo and i want to put something on it like this:

live life to the fullest
live every day like it is your last
pursue life to its greatest

i know of carpe diem and i plan to include that somewhere. thanks for any help, id appreciate alternate suggestions too!

A

Anonymous

"Vive ut vivas" ="live so that you may live",

The phrase suggests that one should live life to the fullest and without fear of possible consequences.

cleb1966

Live life to the full

Ok so here goes I did have a go using the online translators before I came here and the result was somewhat confusing it gave me Ago vita ut plenus and when I translated it back it gave me a headache haha.
Anyhow my mams next door neighbour did study Latin at college some 20 yrs ago and has come up with the following
Live life to the full =Vive vitam ad plenum
I live life to the full= Vivo vitam ad plenum
To live life to the full = Vivere vitam ad plenum
She wasnt a 100% on the first phrase ,which was what I was asked to find, but said maybe the latter two were closer or maybe someone here knows better,thats what Im here for to recheck the phrase before comitting it to skin on my good freind,thank you,Cleb

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Re: Live life to the full

Salve!

I would say: Utere vita quam maxime.

However, I am not 100% sure either, so let's wait until some more experienced Latinists reply.
Vale.

B

Bitmap

the expression "ad plenum" does indeed exist and the figura etymologica "to live life" works in Latin as well (vivere vitam) ... however, I'm not really sure whether this emphatic English sentence "Live (your) life!" entailing that you should also make use of your life would be understood in the same way in Latin ... "Vive vitam!" may just as well be understood as "be alive". I would therefore choose a clearer expression in Latin.

My suggestion would have been "fruere quam maxime vita". It's nice to see mattheus offer a very similar translation here :)

cleb1966

So the phrases I had were wrong lord oh lord hahaha.
If the last phrase given is better in translation what exactly is its english equal,I know that may sound odd but he will want to know as its so different from what weve had before,is it just ''live life to the full'',not I live or to live?
Sorry if I'm being a pain I just need to be sure,thanks a million people :applause:

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

"Fruere vita quam maxime" literally means 'enjoy life as much as possible.' A better translation would be "enjoy life to the utmost," which pretty much conveys your original intention of 'live life to the full.' :)

cleb1966

I would like to thank you for your help in researching this phrase,my friend is over the moon and we are inking the phrase today which will make his xmas.
I would like to wish you all a very merry xmas and a properous and healthy new year,all the best for 2009 Cleb