Live without regret

A

Anonymous

Hi i want to make a request for " live without regret "

Ive heard from some people that it is " Sine desiderio habita " But i want to make sure.

But some people have said the closest translation is, " to live without regrets " which is, "Sine ullo vive desiderio".

Thanks for your help.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Re: Request please.

I'd say: Vive sine [ulla] paenitentia "live without [any] regret"

Also, check this thread: http://latinforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5578.

Edited to add: There's a particular thread I had in mind, discussing a couple of different words for 'regret', which apparently is not linked from there. I found it here.

A

Anonymous

Re: Request please.

Thanks, i think ill go for with paenitentia, instead of desiderio, as that is more of the kind of regret im looking for. but on that link you gave me it would be " life without regret" not "live", Would there be a translation for " live without regret " ?

If not ill just go for, "vita sine paenitentia", which i guess would have the closest meaning.

krisscross

"Live without regret"

I am looking for a translation of "live life with no regrets" to latin and this seemed like a reliable source. Not sure if i want to trust something that is going to be on my body forever to some online translator. Thank you for any help

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Re: tattoo translation

Hello!

We have been asked this before - to stay organized, I'm going to merge this with one of our existing threads.

For reference - the translation is -

Vive sine [ulla] paenitentia

"live without [any] regret"

The bracketed word is not necessary :)

Edit - It doesn't say "live life", but it does say "live". If you specifically want the "life" part in it, we'll see what we can do.

krisscross

thank you very much! Just out of curiosity, what do all these other things u see online such as "Vitam sine ullo vive desiderio" and "vitam sine ullo vive desiderio" translate into? The first is another translation i found online and for kicks and giggles the other is what kgb told me

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I'm sorry, both of the phrases are exactly the same - you must have accidentally pasted the same one twice.

"Vitam sine ullo vive desiderio"

It looks like it was translated by someone with some knowledge of Latin, but the order is odd.

Assuming that it is grammatically correct (since I am not yet experienced enough to say, for certain, that it isn't), it would mean "Live life without any longing". However, there are a couple of things that look odd to me -

"Vive" means "live", as a command. While I see no reason why it can't be at the beginning of the sentence, it looks odd (possibly even wrong) separating desiderio from sine.

"Vive" is intransitive - literally, it means "be alive". That is why I was hesitant to add "life" to the phrase - to me, "vive vitam" looks like "be alive life". Then again, "live" is also intransitive in English and still allows the phrase "live life"... I don't know whether it's valid in Latin or not.

JaimeB

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

You could try Vive sine (ulla) paenitudine.

Desiderium implies "longing "and penitentia implies regret more in the sense of "penance;" paenitudo is not so well-attested, but may come off closer to the mark for "regret" as we understand that today.

B

Bitmap

cf. THREAD: #8895

Nikolaos dixit:
"Vive" means "live", as a command. While I see no reason why it can't be at the beginning of the sentence, it looks odd (possibly even wrong) separating desiderio from sine.
Latin has a natural tendency to use hyperbata ... especially in such short sentences, which would otherwise look boring

"Vive" is intransitive - literally, it means "be alive". That is why I was hesitant to add "life" to the phrase - to me, "vive vitam" looks like "be alive life". Then again, "live" is also intransitive in English and still allows the phrase "live life"... I don't know whether it's valid in Latin or not.
While it's true that vivere is intransitive, it can take a homogenous accusative, i.e. a noun from the same stem. This is called a figura etymologia, similar to pugnam pugnare or ius iurare. Vitam sine ullo vive desiderio is grammatically and (!) stylistically a good sentence. It may not fit for this purpose, though ... at least I don't see how desiderium is a good translation for regret-

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Nikolaos dixit:
I'm sorry, both of the phrases are exactly the same - you must have accidentally pasted the same one twice.

"Vitam sine ullo vive desiderio"

It looks like it was translated by someone with some knowledge of Latin, but the order is odd.
If vive were any form but the imperative, I'd say it looks perfectly natural. Imperatives tend to come first in their clause, though, or second if some important word requires emphasis by initial position. Still, it's not invalid in this order.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Okay, thanks for answering my questions. I was never too sure about whether one could split words from prepositions (of course I that at least one modifying word must be connected to it), and I only began to think about the issue of intransitive verbs yesterday : P

doodles8020

hello. i found online that "vita sine paenitentia" and "vive sine paenitentia" means "live without regret"...but which one is right? "vive" or "vita"? and why?

D

Deleted member 13757

hello. i found online that "vita sine paenitentia" and "vive sine paenitentia" means "live without regret"...but which one is right? "vive" or "vita"? and why?
First commands you "to live" (verb) without regrets, the second states that life (noun) is without regrets ...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yep.

Just for precision: paenitentia is regret for things you have done. If you mean regret for things you have lost, then it should be desiderio.