live your life and regret nothing

Mathias

Hi, im a bit confused cause i want a tatoo in latin and i searched the web a lot and found this sentence live your life and regret nothing "vive vitam tuam et nihil paenite" in latin
but then i also found: Regret nothing " Nihil Desidera " and was wondering which is correct?

Mathias

what if its only "regret Nothing" or "I regret nothing" would that be "nihil desidera" or "nihil paenite"

And thank you :D

Mathias

hi, i am going to get a tattoo, and wanted to get " Regret Nothing" translated properly, so if anyone could help, i would deeply appreciate it :D

Regret Nothing as in, i dont regret anyting i have done :p

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hello, for singular "you": nihil te paeniteat.

Dido

Hello, for singular "you": nihil te paeniteat.
Why not nihil paenite? I interpreted it as a command :)

And where does the a come from? Must be some form I haven't mastered yet ;)

Arca Defectionis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Are you sure one "vivit" a "vitam"? Maybe some other verb such as "age" would be better here.

"Vehementer" also might be adding unwanted implications. "Vitam tuam vive/ age" alone translates the whole spectrum of meanings for "live your life." "Live your life" doesn't necessarily mean "live your life passionately" or something of the sort; it could just mean "live your life" (as in, do what you do).

Why not nihil paenite? I interpreted it as a command :)

And where does the a come from? Must be some form I haven't mastered yet ;)
"Nihil te paeniteat" literally means "may nothing cause you regret." The verb is third-person singular (to agree with "nihil") and subjunctive, so paeniteat.

Si tali stigmate carnem tuam incides, fortasse te paenitebit. :p

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes, definitely vitam age is better, I think.

Dido

Are you sure one "vivit" a "vitam"? Maybe some other verb such as "age" would be better here.

"Vehementer" also might be adding unwanted implications. "Vitam tuam vive/ age" alone translates the whole spectrum of meanings for "live your life." "Live your life" doesn't necessarily mean "live your life passionately" or something of the sort; it could just mean "live your life" (as in, do what you do).

"Nihil te paeniteat" literally means "may nothing cause you regret." The verb is third-person singular (to agree with "nihil") and subjunctive, so paeniteat.

I think you'd better translate that for the topic starter ;).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It means: if you engrave your flesh with a such mark (tatoo), maybe you will regret it...

Anyway; live your life and regret nothing: vitam (tuam) age et nihil te paeniteat/vitam (tuam) age nihilque te paeniteat.

Or simply: vive et nihil te paeniteat/vive nihilque te paeniteat: live and regret nothing (personally I prefer it like this, I think simply vive has more connotation of "live so as to enjoy life" than vitam age).

Just "regret nothing": nihil te paeniteat.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Amice Arca, I used vitam vivere as it is an attested composition (Cicero, Plautus, Livy) correspondig to "to live life" in aspect of living a life. I also used adverb vehementer in order to emphasise "to live life" i.e. "to live life to it's fullest" - colloquially "to squeeze the very last drop from life". vitam vehementer vivere does not mean to live passionately but "to live life to it's fullest"
there was a mention about it here
http://latindiscussion.com/forum/latin/live-life-joyfully.16027/r#post-105362
THREAD: live-life-joyfully
If you wish to find out more about expression "vitam vivere" and its ties with adverbs (see Plautus and Cicero) here are some good books about it:
Eleanor Dickey, Anna Chahoud, Colloquial and Literary Latin
Henry John Roby, A grammar of the Latin language from Plautus to Suetonius (advanced latin grammar)
Hermann Menge, Lehrbuch der lateinischen Syntax und Semantik
D.P. Simpson, P.H. Vellacott (Advanced latin prose composition), Writing in Latin
Alexander Adam, Charles Dexter, Grammar of the Latin language, on the basis of the grammar of Dr. Alexander Adam
Bradley's Arnold Latin prose composition
James Clackson, A Companion To the Latin Language
Michael Von Albrecht - Cicero's Style. A Synopsis