Livy 5.46

Phoebus Apollo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

ibique omnibus sollemniter peractis, eadem reuertens similiter constanti uoltu graduque, satis sperans propitios esse deos quorum cultum ne mortis quidem metu prohibitus deseruisset in Capitolium ad suos rediit, seu attonitis Gallis miraculo audaciae seu religione etiam motis cuius haudquaquam neglegens gens est.

I'm having trouble translating the bit in bold literally (and I'm not sure if you can even translate it literally) - the prohibitus is throwing me off a bit. My attempt is:

'...whose worship he had not even abandoned held back by fear of death'.

I think this is an okay literal translation, but it feels a little clumsy - can anyone think of a better translation? Thanks in advance!

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hi,
don't worry, Livy is hard to translate, especially litteral. yours is good methink.

[..] satis sperans propitios esse deos quorum cultum ne mortis quidem metu prohibitus deseruisse
my stab at litteral rendering: enough confident that the gods were favouring, whose wirship he hadn't neglected even when hindered by the fear of death

Edit: I found this translation on perseus tufts. I hope it can be of help to you
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.02.0026:book=5:chapter=46
There he duly performed all the solemn rites and returned with the same composed expression and gait, feeling sure of the divine blessing, since not even the fear of death had made him neglect the worship of the gods

Phoebus Apollo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hi,
don't worry, Livy is hard to translate, especially litteral. yours is good methink.

[..] satis sperans propitios esse deos quorum cultum ne mortis quidem metu prohibitus deseruisse
my stab at litteral rendering: enough confident that the gods were favouring, whose wirship he hadn't neglected even when hindered by the fear of death

Edit: I found this translation on perseus tufts. I hope it can be of help to you
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.02.0026:book=5:chapter=46
Thank you! :)