Local news

Dantius

Homo Sapiens
Staff member
You have interesting acquaintances.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

I can't speak on other areas let alone countries but it does appear to me that not only is the incidents of violence escalating but the severity of them too. Why? Perhaps it's a symptom of modernity and the nihilistic existence many live under coupled with a culture of violence now seen and heard on tv and in music. Who knows though.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I can't tell if there has been a rise in violence in recent years, but one thing I'm pretty sure of is that there have been far more violent times in the past.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Every illness is caused by a virus
And here I thought there were bacteria-induced illnesses and things like cancer and autoimmune diseases.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
I wonder what word the Russian original used for 'virus'. What he says about illness makes no theological sense to me. If the original Russian word could also be understood as power or potency it might make a wee bit of sense. Maybe it's just nonsense...

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
And here I thought there were bacteria-induced illnesses and things like cancer and autoimmune diseases.

It's funny that that's the part of the article that you comment on ;)

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I wonder what word the Russian original used for 'virus'. What he says about illness makes no theological sense to me. If the original Russian word could also be understood as power or potency it might make a wee bit of sense. Maybe it's just nonsense...

I suppose what he had in mind was something like a δαίμων ... (that's at least my guess)

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
"Heck cow". What the heck. Lol.

"Wow" kid.

After the concert the Boston symphony searched for little Ronan and invited him back. Their artistic director later said: "we’re here to give people a release from their daily existence, with Ronan, it’s spontaneous, it’s an innocence, it’s just lovely"

Kids on the autism spectrum are just the best in so many ways.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.classicfm.com/music-news/wow-child-attends-mozart-rehearsal/&ved=2ahUKEwjtm-PYmqPlAhXSnFwKHbFVDuIQFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw00F3cGoufjpXsJvmi0Q7rk&ampcf=1

Ah this story is too much. From what I'm reading he's practically non-verbal as well. His Dad said: “I can count on one hand the number of times that [he’s] spontaneously ever come out with some expression of how he’s feeling,”

What a lovely story. Turned me into a wet blanket tbh.

Here is the letter the orchestra sent out looking for him after the concert.
PicsArt_10-17-01.10.39.png

Unsure of why this is now doing the rounds on my internet news feed from last year, other than it's that time of year again but what I can't fathom is why people do things like this. The poppy represents all the people who didn't have a choice in the matter of war and politics and who went to the front and died. Why burn their memory? I dunno.

I do find that wearing poppies in November appears to be in decline. At my place I've only seen a few wearing them out of nearly 200 workers.
PicsArt_11-08-06.41.36.jpg

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I suppose you can just not wear a poppy if you don't like it ... but burning them is an incredibly dumb and insolent act of virtue signalling.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
I don't support the Poppy Day thing, because of the abuses committed by the British Military in Northern Ireland, but neither would I desecrate the symbol. Millions of good men died so the rest of could live - like the dozy moo burning that poppy.

Cinefactus

Censor
Staff member
In her defence, she does proclaim in her title that she is a Feral

I don't support the Poppy Day thing, because of the abuses committed by the British Military in Northern Ireland
It's a shame that this is the case but not at all surprising considering all the abuses that went on within the military and later the secret services too. I suppose we could go even further back than David Lloyd George, maybe as far back as the 17th century and see resentment propagating.