"Logic in all things"

al.khwarizmi

I have two candidate versions based on what I've looked into: in omnibus logica and in omnia logica. It looks like we're looking at dative vs. accusative but I can't report much else. Also if I'm totally off-base I welcome a third candidate.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

In omnibus logica is the grammatically correct version. However, logica is a loanword from Greek and is exceedingly rare in Latin. Ratio ("reason, system, a rational account") would probably be the way most Romans would express this idea: in omnibus ratio.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Then how about ratio in omnibus?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

That would work too, of course, but the OP seemed to want in omnibus first.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

In omnibus ratio

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I literally just suggested that (maybe you didn't read my whole post?) :p

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

ohhh ok

al.khwarizmi

That would work too, of course, but the OP seemed to want in omnibus first.
Yes my understanding is that it's more idiomatic to order words like so even if grammatical case makes things unambiguous. What would be the difference between ratio and logica here?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I guess if you want to specify "logic" in the technical philosophical sense, like syllogisms and such, you should use logica. If you mean logic more generally -- like people should think things through clearly and coherently and have sound reasons for what they believe and do -- I think ratio would be more appropriate.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Yes my understanding is that it's more idiomatic to order words like so even if grammatical case makes things unambiguous.
Latin is actually very flexible concerning word order. Either in omnibus ratio or ratio in omnibus (or the equivalents with logica instead of ratio) would be just fine. If you want to emphasize "in all things", I would use in omnibus ratio; if you want to emphasize the "logic" part, I would use ratio in omnibus. But there's not much difference between the two.

al.khwarizmi

I guess if you want to specify "logic" in the technical philosophical sense, like syllogisms and such, you should use logica. If you mean logic more generally -- like people should think things through clearly and coherently and have sound reasons for what they believe and do -- I think ratio would be more appropriate.
Well, if it helps at all, the context here is coming up with a cringe Warhammer 40K slogan based on "High Gothic", except it's actually decent Latin, for the Techpriests of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

techpriest-scribe.jpg

Take a good look at this alleged "human" and make your own judgment about whether logica or ratio is more appropriate. Having recently acquired formal logic texts by such authors as Irving Copi and Harry Gensler (an actual Jesuit priest), I'm kind of leaning towards the former.