Lord I am unworthy to recieve you but only say the word and

SuperSue

I wanted to get a tatto of this phrase said each week in Catholic Mass:

"Lord I am unworthy to recieve you but only say the word and I shall be healed"

Quite a mouth full I know, I was wondering if 1.) someone would know how to translate this into Latin, or 2.) If there is a resource to look up the Catholis mass program in Latin (as I know mass used to be done only in Latin not long ago).

Thanks

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Domine non sum dignus, ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo, et sanabitur anima mea.

Lord I am not worthy, that Thou shouldst come under my roof; say but the word, and my soul shall be healed.

Funny, that's the second time in the last few days that that's come up in this forum.

This prayer from the old Mass (it came just before the Communion of the Faithful) was in fact a slight variation of the prayer of the centurion for his servant, in Matthew viii:

Domine non sum dignus, ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo, et sanabitur puer meus.

The Mass-text substituted "my soul" for Matthew's "my boy".

(The words in Luke vii, where the story also occurs, are a little different).

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I wonder if I could find and try to crack the Koine Greek...I think I found it. κυριε, ουκ ειμι ικανος ινα μου υπο την στεγνη εισελθης. Can't find the clause after that sorry.
(Roughly transliterated: kyrie, ouk eimi (h?)ikanos hina mou hypo ten (long e) stegnen (long second e) eiselthes (long third e))
Yes indeed I have :). Now to find the political changes in the translation:
ικανος is more accurately sufficient, perhaps sufficient in ability.
Interestingly the Greek-Latin and Latin-English is actually very well translated here, I'm rather impressed. By the way, I think you've just accidentally inspired me to try this Greek book again :).

SuperSue

"Domine non sum dignus, ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo, et sanabitur anima mea.

Lord I am not worthy, that Thou shouldst come under my roof; say but the word, and my soul shall be healed."

This is really helpful, and I found some actual Latin translations of the Catholic Mass where this was stated. The thing is I really don't want the reference to "under my roof" I really do want "to recieve you" because that is much more personal to me... I guess i need to omit "ut intres sub tectum meum" and replace it with "to recieve you". Can I get some help with that??

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

ut te recipiam, perhaps?
Speaking directly to God using a form of tu though...I dunno. It was written that way for a reason in my opinion.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Oh, we regularly called Him Tu. In the Te Deum laudamus for example; or repeatedly in the old Gloria:

Laudamus Te. Benedicimus Te. Adoramus Te. Glorificamus Te. Gratias agimus Tibi propter magnam gloriam Tuam.

But I can't do better than QMF's ut Te recipiam, "that I should receive You", as the desired substitute for ut intres sub tectum meum.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

True, true, many uses of tu (wow, I made a little poem :))
In that "embrace" is often used in contact with God, perhaps you could use that:
ut te amplear.
Still doesn't sound great...

A

Anonymous

Bad ICEL translation

Hi.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think I recognize the English expression you want (to receive you) from the novus Ordo Missæ. Believe it or not, "to receive you" is the ICEL translation of "ut intres sub tectum meum." I wish that was their worst.

Regards, ASD

Interficio

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Wow I just came from having heard that phrase in spanish no less than 2 minutes ago.

Here it is (the way I heard it) in Spanish:

Dios, no soy digno de que entres en mi casa, pero una palabra tuya va estar apta para sanar me.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Surely it should be "va a estar"?

Interficio

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

QMF dixit:
Surely it should be "va a estar"?
Probabanly but I hear it uttered quicker than that so it sounds like vastar