Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

In addition to what Pacifica wrote:
Mens mea amore caeca
Me caecum reddit amor.
Amor mentis meae perstrigit oculos

Quintus Arborus

I am not sure of the exact context and nuance that is being sought. The suggestions provided seem to be declarative statements of fact.

Another intepretating might be a declaration of persistent state: 'I am blinded (and continue to be) by Love' if desired to mark one's persisting state of 'being blinded by Love'.

In that case, I would try to render it with a continual present, passive idicative verb as:

caecor per amorem

[I am] (continuing to be) blinded by reason of Love

Or perhaps (with less certainty on my part):

caecor (ab) amore

[I am] continuing to be blinded (due to the action of) Love

As I understand it Classical Latin (my background being in Liturgical Latin) made less use of prepositions and employed conjugative endings alone more frequently to denote case. If more explicit meaning is needed, you can use the ablative 'a/ab' to specifically denote the ablative agency of 'Love' performing the passive verb's action.

I am less sure of this latter construction, so please take the second option with a grain of salt. I just want to put out the idea so that it can possibly be validated/built upon by others.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

If more explicit meaning is needed, you can use the ablative 'a/ab' to specifically denote the ablative agency of 'Love' performing the passive verb's action.
That works only (at least in classical Latin) if "love" is being personified, like a god of love or so. Inanimate agents don't take a(b), but the bare ablative (so caecor amore works).
The suggestions provided seem to be declarative statements of fact.

Another intepretating might be a declaration of persistent state
I'm not sure what difference you're drawing between a "declarative statement of fact" and a "declaration of persistent state". The difference between amor me caecat and caecor amore is basically just that between an active statement ("love blinds me") and a passive one ("I am blinded by love"). Both can refer either to a continuous, perpetual fact or to one that is true only at the time of speaking (or yet again to a repeatedly occurring one).

Quintus Arborus

Pacifica dixit:
I'm not sure what difference you're drawing between a "declarative statement of fact" and a "declaration of persistent state".
Ah! That was a slight mistake on my part. I am mixing up grammatical forms from a language with a a separate present imperfective continuous.

I should probably spend more time 'switching mental gears' at my age.

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Addendum:
Propertius in one of his elegies (book 2. elegy 14, verse 18; pentameter):
scilicet insano nemo in amore videt
Transl. A.S. Kline: no one of course can see when crazed with love.
How about (insano) non video in amore ??

Last edited: