LSJ.gr online Greek dictionaries

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I accidentally came across this website while googling a Greek word:

https://lsj.gr/wiki/Main_Page

It looks very useful. As the main page there explains, you can look up the headwords in a number of dictionaries: the English LSJ, Wilhelm Pape's German-Greek dictionary, the Greek Liddell-Scott, Bailly's French DGF abrégé, the Spanish DGE, a dictionary that's in monotonic Greek for some reason, and Dvoretsky's Russian-Greek dictionary; it claims to have the Greek/Nederlands woordenboek but I don't actually normally see it (is that because it only has less common entries? at least it showed up when I looked up καταβάλλω...). You can use any of polytonic Greek, modern Greek (i.e. only with acutes, no breathing marks), bare unaccented Greek, and beta code, and as you enter terms the site helpfully suggests hints of entries. Any results page of a search shows you results in all dictionaries at once. You can also look up English words to consult Woodhouse's English->Greek dictionary (e.g. bring).

Sample search: διοικέω.

You can also consult three Latin dictionaries in there: the Lewis & Short English one, Gaffiot's French one, and Karl Ernst Georges' German one. Although those are more easily available in other places, e.g. the Lewis & Short hosted at UChicago, UChicago's Logeion project which shows you L&S and Gaffiot easily available, Georges' on zeno.org, and others.

Sample search: rete.

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Another great website is Logeion:

If you have an iPhone or iPad, you can also get the Logeion app. I don't think it exists for Android products yet.
I... mentioned Logeion in my post... And this thread is called LSJ.gr, not dictionary websites...

Anyway, if we don't mind going off-topic, I must say I'm a bit saddened by the new version of Logeion. Most notably, the previous version had more efficient word hinting in the search box, seemed to handle Greek written in the Latin alphabet better, and also worked even without Javascript enabled as opposed to the new version in React. I don't know why its developers felt the interface needed to be re-written in the React framework; the previous site was fine. Facebook created React because it had a chaotic interface with lots of elements updating in real time constantly, which unreasonably complicated the HTML and Javascript, but Logeion is not like Facebook.

Of course, I use Logeion all the time nevertheless, because it is very convenient to get immediate results for Latin, as opposed to other interfaces where I'm supposed to click on a headword link every time I look up a word. I also love its "inverse" list of nearby words: before finding Logeion, I used to painstakingly use the inverse Latin wordbook on archive.org, an e-book with no index or OCR. Very unpleasant.