Macron on the final letter of a word.

Hawkwood

• Civis

When speaking, am I to make sure I hold the last letter in instances like an ablative word. It seems on the Orberg audio that isn't always the case but I've been holding it none the less. It does make the word sound slightly strained though but I'm supposing orally & as the listener, you have nothing to go by other than the sound.
Thanks.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

In singular or in plural too? In singular I think that the third declension -e is the only short ablative.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Just in general, when you come across a macron at the end of a word, do you make sure you hold the sound of the letter ?
It just seems straining to the rhythm of the sentence & I'm not sure if a listener would know via the context of sentence or if the macron at the end is always held.
I find it strange that Orberg seems to not hold the letter.
Or it's me not hearing the subtle holds.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Don't know, I don't use classical pronountiation.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Just in general, when you come across a macron at the end of a word, do you make sure you hold the sound of the letter ?
It just seems straining to the rhythm of the sentence & I'm not sure if a listener would know via the context of sentence or if the macron at the end is always held.
I find it strange that Orberg seems to not hold the letter.
Or it's me not hearing the subtle holds.
Presuming you wish to correctly follow the pronuntiatio restituta, vowel quantity should be carefully observed and maintained in all cases, not just in the case endings. I've not listened to Orberg's recordings, so I can't tell you if he does so properly or not.

Of course, one doesn't have to attempt to pronounce Latin the way the ancient Romans did. There's none of them around to judge you for mangling their language, after all.

Hawkwood

• Civis

I take it that's not the case with ecclesiastical pronunciation. Surprising as that seems a big difference. Not really looked into the above pronunciation.
I could be doing this all wrong but I tend to speak Latin slow & make sure all macrons letters are held at 1 full note as opposed to a half note. So it makes for a dull sound, but then I speed up & it sounds alright. Until I hit that macron on the last letter of acc plu or abl & it seems to sound wrong, especially coming on to next new word, normally a verb.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

You could post in the "let us hear your latin voice" thread maybe.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Presuming you wish to correctly follow the pronuntiatio restituta, vowel quantity should be carefully observed and maintained in all cases, not just in the case endings. I've not listened to Orberg's recordings, so I can't tell you if he does so properly or not.

Of course, one doesn't have to attempt to pronounce Latin the way the ancient Romans did. There's none of them around to judge you for mangling their language, after all.
Thanks, I've been holding every macron so far but I could do with listening to more Latin.
In hindsight I shouldn't of used Orberg as an example of someone not always holding the macron as I'm not fully sure he isn't. It just seems so to my untrained ear. (I'm talking about the last macron on last letter where it seems he doesn't hold). Not anywhere else.

Abbatiſſæ Scriptor

Senex

• Civis Illustris

Normally a long vowel ſhould differ from its ſhort counterpart only in duration. It ſhould be held for about twice as long. There are those who argue that it ſhould riſe, and then fall again in pitch, as if it bore a circumflex accent, that might be helpfull, as long as it remain a ſingle syllableand not ſplit into two, but the important thing is not to allow the duration of a final vowel to affect the placement of the ſtress accent.