Manga & Anime

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Japanese like big robots mecha: メカ, robotto ロボット
Gundam Culture

there are quite a few animes dedicated to robots. (technically speaking Transformers and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers are cheap plagiarism of japanese mech-anime concepts )

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Oh, I thought Power Rangers was Japanese in origin and then brought to the West.
I know what you mean, they did acquire right for making a TV series based on japanese original Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger
I was refering to them being techinically cheap plagiarisms of japanese anime mech/gundam concepts ( few heores form a huge robot and fight a huge opponent - typical Gundam scenario:)

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Attack on Titan (進撃の巨人 Shingeki no Kyojin) 2009 - present
manga dedicated to fans of postapocaliptic scenarios

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Vagabond 1998 - present
epic martial arts manga about fictional life of Miyamoto Musashi.
View attachment 7966
The most legendary samurai! Another classic samurai manga is Kozure Ōkami, with charcoal illustrations that'll knock you off your ass.

There's also the (semi-historical) trope of the man from the west who, coming to the shores of ol' Nihon, rises to become a great samurai. You can see one iteration of it in the 2007 movie Sword of the Stranger, which features some of the finest anime brutality known to man.

WARNING: The clip is violent.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
The gnarly voice of Luo Lang (the blond guy) belongs to Kōichi Yamadera, who also did Spike Spiegel in Cowboy Bebop. He also did this...

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
One cannot deny Berserk its rightful place at the top. Another very popular manga/anime about a musclebound badass: Hokuto no Ken.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
The most legendary samurai! Another classic samurai manga is Kozure Ōkami, with charcoal illustrations that'll knock you off your ass.

There's also the (semi-historical) trope of the man from the west who, coming to the shores of ol' Nihon, rises to become a great samurai. You can see one iteration of it in the 2007 movie Sword of the Stranger, which features some of the finest anime brutality known to man.

WARNING: The clip is violent.
I Have Sword of The Stranger in my DVD Collection !!!!
Thanks for mentioning.

another epic martial arts anime (also in my collection)
NINJA SCROLL 1993

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Jeez, man, I didn't know you were a weeb! I thought it was just me 'n Jason 'n Laurentius.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Holy hell, I forgot about Ninja Scroll! Must watch. Must watch.

I think I had it confused with Basilisk, which was a solid show though exceedingly weird.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Jeez, man, I didn't know you were a weeb! I thought it was just me 'n Jason 'n Laurentius.
I was definitely a weeb when I was a teenager (martial arts, Judo, manga, anime - LOL I even watched Sailor Moon:D - but just to be clear no waifu pillow .)
I bet there are more members here who like manga or/ and anime or jpc but don't want to admit.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Another classic samurai manga is Kozure Ōkami, with charcoal illustrations that'll knock you off your ass.
added to my "must read" list. Arigatō

AoM

nulli numeri
Favorite series are HxH, JoJo's, Berserk, and 3-gatsu no Lion.

Currently watching Kimetsu no Yaiba and Vinland Saga weekly.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris
ego quoque Kimetsu no Yaiba soleō spectāre, etsī nōndum recentiōra epīsodia vīdī.

fateor autem et JoJo et Beserk mihi nōn multum placēre. seriēs secunda Beserkis praesertim erat pessima; post prīmum epīsodium cessī. sed fortasse rēs aliae mihi placent quam vōbīs in animē; praelātae seriēs mihi Kino no Tabi (antīqua) et Mushishi.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
fateor autem et JoJo et Beserk mihi nōn multum placēre.

I don’t like Berserk but I love Jojo. AoM had some good stuff too; HxH was a good adventure.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Vinland Saga weekly.
I have to check it out. I had a glimplse of the manga a while ago and I liked it.

Tokyo Ghoul - both manga and anime are OK (for dark fantasy genre)

and another thing - for those who like romance genre Koe no katachi (jap. 聲の形 ) - I watched it with my girlfriend - certified tear squeezer (for women of course); IMO manga is way better than anime; but that's only my personal opinion.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Adrian dixit:
certified tear squeezer (for women of course)
:thumb-up:
Watched that maybe a couple months ago. Very cool to hear deaf Japanese voice actress(es). Koi fish & kimono babes abound.
Iáson dixit:
Toppus tierus est, amice noster. JoJo's aliquid watch-abile mi semper uisum est et non plus, nec 'magnum opus' quidem quod fanatici esse dictant.