Manga & Anime

Adrian

Civis Illustris
You know I always dig a robobabe. Reminds me of Gunbuster, the animators of which, though quite talented, have no shame whatever about their fondness of the 'female form'. But then, that's about 99.9% of all anime, past & present.
Indeed, those japanese [graphic artists/ animators] shure knew how to expone them female shapes;)

Hemo, you mentoned Gunbuster ; I wonder if you are familiar with Bubblegum Crisis (Cyberpunk Spice Girls)
They wore robotic combat exoskeletons so technically they qualify as robobabes...

phpDTjyeu.jpg

Hemo Rusticus

Low-life Scumbag
I wonder if you are familiar with Bubblegum Crisis (Cyberpunk Spice Girls)
I've seen the remake called Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. Pretty much a babeorama.
That guy - Ogami Itto (Lone Wolf) - he no human, he f*cking terminator.
Savagery. :akimbo:

Iáson

Cívis Illústris
You know I always dig a robobabe. Reminds me of Gunbuster, the animators of which, though quite talented, have no shame whatever about their fondness of the 'female form'. But then, that's about 99.9% of all anime, past & present.
That aspect is definitely what put me off watching anime to start with, and continues to spoil my enjoyment of certain shows - it's made several series unwatchable that were otherwise merely bad. I feel like it has got a little better in recent years overall though (or maybe I have just got better at picking series which have it less). But maybe it makes a difference if you're a man (or 少年).

Time of Eve I enjoyed though. I don't think it noticeably oversexualised its characters.

There are presumably dialect features, but I don't know enough Japanese (or Ryukyuan) to recognize them.
I can't understand a word of it, which doesn't necessarily say much in itself, but most of the words don't seem to be in Jisho either.

Hemo Rusticus

Low-life Scumbag
Iáson dixit:
That aspect is definitely what put me off watching anime to start with, and continues to spoil my enjoyment of certain shows - it's made several series unwatchable that were otherwise merely bad.
Excellently put, my friend. Couldn't have said it better.

While it is no secret & moreover entirely natural that Japan has a different sense of propriety on matters of sex, it seems to have adopted, at least as far as anime is concerned (for really that is my only area of knowledge), the worst parts of the Western sexual ideology or 'gender role'.

I don't mean to 'condescend', in the sense that I may imply Japan is not 'intelligent enough' to come up with its own ridiculous stupidities (what nation can claim to be?), but it can't be pure coincidence that so many (loathsome) 'white boyz' outsource their American fantasies by watching Japanese jiggle-fests like Darling in the FRANXX & 'Kono Suba'?

I don't mean to be all 'holier-than-thou', as if I really know what's best for my fellow dumbass millennials, but it really fucking grinds my gears the way anime, which I so adore watching, is more or less synonymous with 'hentai' & 'weebs'. They just don't get it, they don't get it.

There is such a thing as good anime.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
I personally try to gather info about potentional manga / anime movies I may find interesting ( I try to avoid shonen, shojo, josei etc. I usually aim at selected seinen - cyberpunk + postapocalypce; epic /martial arts / historical or social drama etc.).
I don't like manga / anime tv series presenting "Kodomomuke" type face expressions.
In my opinion anime movies I presented earlier in this thread don't contain absurd sexuality etc.

Lately, I watched The Garden of Words and I enjoyed it. In my opinion this movie is more drama than romance.

Hemo Rusticus

Low-life Scumbag
Adrian dixit:
In my opinion anime movies I presented earlier in this thread don't contain absurd sexuality etc.
No, I don't think so either. I didn't mean to imply that they did, though now that I reread my post I can see why you might think that.

The Garden of Words looks cool. Cool title, too.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Hemo Rusticus , I am not poking fingers at anyone, just general statement in response to what Iason stated at first - to which I concur in some extent.

I believe there is nothing wrong about lighthearted , distanced discussions over robobabes, long-legged heroines, schoolgirl fetish, even hentai as long as we don't overstep the boundries of good taste and profanity. Some people like schojo / schonen mangas/animes, some don't.

I personally prefer realistc illustrated seinen, that's all; but would never criticise those who like Kissxsis or Sailor Moon or Nana...

For those who like psychological thrillers, I can recommend Perfect Blue.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
I think I had it confused with Basilisk, which was a solid show though exceedingly weird.
Finished reading the manga. A sad ending... Gennosuke and Oboro were young and in love.

Vero, haec fabula nos docet amorem ipsum morte et inimicitia potentiorem esse.

basilisk.jpg

Tibi gratias ago Hemo quod huius mangae mentionem fecisti. Illam legere mihi delectationem attulit.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris
I've only seen the anime, but I thought it was quite good. Not very uplifting, it's true. But because of the way the show gradually builds up characterisation you feel progressively sadder as the characters slowly but inevitably die off.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Iáson appreciate the info on Basilisk anime. I added it ot my "watch list". Schould you know some good seinen , especially in "realistical" graphic manner of Lone Wolf and Cub, please let me know. Thank You.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris
Iáson appreciate the info on Basilisk anime. I added it ot my "watch list". Schould you know some good seinen , especially in "realistical" graphic manner of Lone Wolf and Cub, please let me know. Thank You.
Seinen anime... I'm not that great at distinguishing the demographics, but of those classed as seinen by https://myanimelist.net/, I think the ones I have seen and were actually any good (other than Mushishi, which I've already mentioned) were One Punch Man (at least at the start), Boku dake ga Inai Machi (but the final is a bit weak), Planetes, Koukaku Kidoutai: Stand Alone Complex.

Hemo Rusticus

Low-life Scumbag
Adrian dixit:
Tibi gratias ago Hemo quod huius mangae mentionem fecisti. Illam legere mihi delectationem attulit.
Laetor istis quas nuper egisti gratiis, Adriane. Plus mangae legendum'st mi certe, sed multum malo librum physicalem, quem cariorem esse accidit, quam digitalem. :no-clue:

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Recte dicis Hemo Rusticus . Certe liber chartaceus magiam quaedam habet quae libello electronico deest. Saepe manga chartacea difficilis est in obtinendo; hac de causa necesse est me versiones electronias aliquarum mangarum in interrete quaerere.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
I came across this movie while researching some 80s japanese artwork.
Basically Sin City meets John Carpenter

Wicked City (1987)

Spectaculum cinematographicum completum anglice dubbingatum

Laurentius

Man of Culture
Excellently put, my friend. Couldn't have said it better.

While it is no secret & moreover entirely natural that Japan has a different sense of propriety on matters of sex, it seems to have adopted, at least as far as anime is concerned (for really that is my only area of knowledge), the worst parts of the Western sexual ideology or 'gender role'.

I don't mean to 'condescend', in the sense that I may imply Japan is not 'intelligent enough' to come up with its own ridiculous stupidities (what nation can claim to be?), but it can't be pure coincidence that so many (loathsome) 'white boyz' outsource their American fantasies by watching Japanese jiggle-fests like Darling in the FRANXX & 'Kono Suba'?

I don't mean to be all 'holier-than-thou', as if I really know what's best for my fellow dumbass millennials, but it really fucking grinds my gears the way anime, which I so adore watching, is more or less synonymous with 'hentai' & 'weebs'. They just don't get it, they don't get it.

There is such a thing as good anime.
I wonder if more than Western degeneracy we should blame Japanese culture which creates phenomena such as hikikomoris, herbivore men, overworking, low birth rates and so on.

Hemo Rusticus

Low-life Scumbag
Very true. The predominant native sickness, which all of the problems we've mentioned seem to have in common, is a type of solipsism quite different from what is typical in the west, or at least of Americans who spend virtually every moment of their lives competing one with the other, not to be the best or most successful, but rather the most recognizable/heard-of, the trendiest, the most 'household'. It's a contest to see who can get the most subs/likes, & whatever is considered to be the 'real-world equivalent' of those, over the most mundane horseshit, whether it's singing covers of bad songs, doing backflips off the walls of office buildings, or doing your makeup like a psychopath with nothing but free time. :vomit:

Is there a lesser evil? I wish.

Hemo Rusticus

Low-life Scumbag
Adrian
Aw, man, I remember Wicked City. 'Insane in the membrane' is putting it lightly.

I liked your Golgo 13 just 'cause I like any anime featuring a hard-boiled character in a suit jacket & a fancy hat.