Manga & Anime

SpeedPocok5

Japanese like big robots mecha: メカ, robotto ロボット
Gundam Culture

there are quite a few animes dedicated to robots. (technically speaking Transformers and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers are cheap plagiarism of japanese mech-anime concepts )

Now I'm watching Evangelion
112325.gif

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
Now I'm watching Evangelion
View attachment 8707
Sweet Christ... Asuka fighting the German-manufactured Eva units is one of the absolute best sequences in the history of animation. I've watched it again and again, til the drool hits the floor. She's such a phenomenal character, with the signature cherry-red unit (backdoor code: Zā Bīsuto "The Beast"). I'm almost positive she inspired the equally ferocious & beautiful 'virago' Anemone, from Eureka Seven.
Image result for anemone eureka seven500 × 420

And it's a matter of fact that Anemone herself inspired the main female character (whose name I don't know and won't look up) from Eureka Seven's smutty doppelganger, that will remain here unnamed, at least until someone else names it.

SpeedPocok5

Sweet Christ... Asuka fighting the German-manufactured Eva units is one of the absolute best sequences in the history of animation. I've watched it again and again, til the drool hits the floor. She's such a phenomenal character, with the signature cherry-red unit (backdoor code: Zā Bīsuto "The Beast"). I'm almost positive she inspired the equally ferocious & beautiful 'virago' Anemone, from Eureka Seven.
Image result for anemone eureka seven500 × 420

And it's a matter of fact that Anemone herself inspired the main female character (whose name I don't know and won't look up) from Eureka Seven's smutty doppelganger, that will remain here unnamed, at least until someone else names it.
Yes! It's a beautifull scene (even I have had the spoiler, basically I spoiled myself), but I'm watching this anime because that awesome scene motivated me to do so, I love the backround bach music while Asuka is fighting the Eva units, I think it's art!

Well, what is it about Eureka seven?

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
It's not nearly so good as Evangelion, but worth watching if you dig mech-battles 'n' dramatic high school kids.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Yes! It's a beautifull scene (even I have had the spoiler, basically I spoiled myself), but I'm watching this anime because that awesome scene motivated me to do so, I love the backround bach music while Asuka is fighting the Eva units, I think it's art!

I enjoyed watching The End of Evangelion, the battle scene between Asuka and Eva units is both epic and sublime (My only remark is that as much as I like Bach's music, as much I believe Mozart's Requiem D minor Lacrimosa would fit more in the overall mood of that scene.)

Last edited:

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Man, Netflix is really crankin' 'em out in the 'animu' department. The above is like watching a show entirely made of Street Fighter V cinematics.
I watched the 1st season of Kengan Ashura. TBH it wasn't too bad (for an anime with virtually no story line other than SF V fight scenes montage).

BTW @Hemo Rusticus @Laurentius @AoM @SpeedPocok5 @Iáson @Issacus Divus
Gentlemen, any RECOMMENDATIONS as far as Netflix' Anime Section is considered (other than 7Seeds, One-Punch Man, Neon Genisys Evangelion, Death Note or Fullmetal Alchemist) ?

Levius caught my attention. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth watching?

Last edited:

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
@Adrian

I have subscriptions to VRV and Funimation (which all told is like 15 bucks), so Netflix is the last place I would look (I have access to my folks' account).

Looking through your link, I can speak highly for Durarara!!, although it loses steam around ep 13 (end of 1st season) & Gurren Lagann is a classic. Inuyasha is an aesthetically pleasing, but entirely substanceless Romance (it was pretty much my first anime). The Castlevania anime was pretty slick as I remember.

I'm intrigued to see a God Eater anime; I might actually check that out. It was originally a video game that was Bandai-Namco's response to Capcom's much better Monster Hunter franchise.

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
^ Looks pretty rad.

AoM

nulli numeri
3-gatsu no Lion. It's a slow burn and its main subject (shogi) is something that doesn't appeal to many, but it has great characters and writing. One of my favorite series.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
I came across this manga by chance. Have to admit it's quite good (for a seinen susepnse thriller / horror manga)

Uzumaki

Artwork is pretty much decent
006.jpg

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
AoM dixit:
It's a slow burn and its main subject (shogi) is something that doesn't appeal to many
And here I thought, having seen the first 10 minutes of Hikaru no Go, that there would never be another attempt at 'board-game anime', but I was wrong. I'm not against the slow burn every now and again, so I just might give this'n a chance.

And even though we've already been over it, I'd like to remind everyone that Mushi-shi is one of the most beautiful & well-crafted animes in existence. Every episode is like watching a folk tale; I rewatched the first episode last night, & it was better than I remembered.

... think I gotta get the box set.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris
I enjoyed Evangelion, although I must admit that the last few episodes of the original series take post-modernism a bit too far.

At the moment I'm watching Samurai 7. It's alright; the story's fine, but maybe a bit mediocre. I'm hoping to find something more exciting next.

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
I remember that one, or rather, I remember only one thing from it (& it's all I needed):

Kyuzo

Image result for kyuzo samurai 7638 × 358

Iáson

Cívis Illústris
I quite like the way he died in the end. Too many great warriors in anime die in some great, over-dramatic feat.

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
Dulce et decorum est animēs ritu mori.

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
animēs, animēī 5th
or
animē, animēs Greek 1st?

I don't think the e is long in Japanese, but I'm modeling it more after the English pronunciation (which in my dialect is a diphthong).

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
A rather weird title. But then, I've never had pancreas; maybe it's to die for?