Martini Cromeri ex primo libro de origine & rebus gestis Polonorum nonnulli loci dubii

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Salvete! I'll keep my comments in English so that a wider audience may respond/offer insights to some rather doubtful passages/expressions.

1628008058137.png

First thing here: any idea what ab inclinatione could refer to? Surely this is about the ongoing fall of the empire in the West? Maybe "alteration, change"?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1628008258407.png

I remember Pacifica once explained this particular mediaevalism ut est videre or something of the like, but I don't exactly recall what that was.
"as one can see" perhaps?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1628008731101.png

caeperant - surely a mediaeval corruption of ceperant?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1628009226631.png

cum eos ??? Surely not the preposition but the conjunction was meant?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1628009467466.png

"vituperium" ---> meaning clear enough, however, no such word exists in either L&S or OLD; another mediaevalism, I take it?

Again, any input, insights, or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 13757

View attachment 15621

First thing here: any idea what ab inclinatione could refer to? Surely this is about the ongoing fall of the empire in the West? Maybe "alteration, change"?

Biondo's greatest works were Italia illustrata (Italy Illuminated, written between 1448 and 1458, published 1474) and the Historiarum ab inclinatione Romanorum imperii decades (Decades of History from the Deterioration of the Roman Empire, written from 1439 to 1453, published in 1483).

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 13757

I remember Pacifica once explained this particular mediaevalism ut est videre or something of the like, but I don't exactly recall what that was.
Oh look at how they talked. A very pretty expression.

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Vituperium appears in Du Cange: http://ducange.enc.sorbonne.fr/vituperium

And in Italian dictionaries - there's an Italian word vituperio, from late Latin vituperium:
"dal lat. tardo vituperium, der. di vituperare «vituperare»".

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Yeah, L&S and OLD aren't everything. I typed in "vituperium" but couldn't come up with anything. Thanks, Brunny! ;)

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Oh look at how they talked. A very pretty expression.
Not my "classical Ciceronian" taste, but how do you understand it?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Sure, like Gibbon said. ;)

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes. Est in this construction with the infinitive basically means "it is possible (to)". The construction is very common in Greek, and appears occasionally in Latin even in the classical period—perhaps it was copied from Greek.
caeperant - surely a mediaeval corruption of ceperant?
Yes.
cum eos ??? Surely not the preposition but the conjunction was meant?
The conjunction wouldn't seem to make any sense, either. It's presumably just a mistake or misprint for cum eis.