Martini Cromeri ex septimo decimo libro de origine & rebus gestis Polonorum nonnulli loci dubii

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

1632732124846.png

Complexi sunt autem hoc foedere rex quidem duces Stolpensium et Masoviorum. Magister vero Sigismundum regem Ungarorum, si is vellet, interim autem ne ei Polonus bellum faceret.

Too many subjects? Or is there a missing conjunction like et to denote a double subject (king and commanders)? btw I guess a complementary infinitive after vellet is understood here? Do you require more context?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The subjects of complexi sunt are rex and magister. Duces is the direct object of the part where rex is the subject.

I'm not sure what you mean about a complementary infinitive after vellet. You can't just have a passive infinitive of complecti there, since that verb is deponent and couldn't have the required passive meaning. I guess you could argue that something like si is vellet ita fieri is kind of implied, but the addition is just totally unnecessary.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

The subjects of complexi sunt are rex and magister. Duces is the direct object of the part where rex is the subject.
Ok, so a very rough translation would be something like "they (the king) embraced the Stolpenses and Masovian commanders, and the master [of the Teutonic Knights] embraced Sigismundus, king of the Hungarians, if the latter wanted it so..."

I'm not sure what you mean about a complementary infinitive after vellet. You can't just have a passive infinitive of complecti there, since that verb is deponent and couldn't have the required passive meaning. I guess you could argue that something like si is vellet ita fieri is kind of implied, but the addition is just totally unnecessary.
It wasn't immediately clear to me what he vellet.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ok, so a very rough translation would be something like "they (the king) embraced the Stolpenses and Masovian commanders, and the master [of the Teutonic Knights] embraced Sigismundus, king of the Hungarians, if the latter wanted it so..."
If you mean a literal translation, it's hard to do in English. I guess I'd say something like "they (= the king and the master) embraced (some people : ) the king (embraced) the commanders... and the master (embraced) Sigismundus..."

For a fluid translation you can simply split into into two sentences, each with its own (singular) verb, and do away with the plural verb.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

So I was on the right track, ok thanks.