Medieval Manuscript transcription -- translation Latin into English: qui actum latere que Deo exhibetur

asulavik

Hi,
I am translating a sentence from a fourteenth century manuscript and am having difficulty translating a section of it. The full sentence, as I have transcribed, is:

Circumspeccio, que circumstancias negocii considerat que ipsum decorant, maxime pertinet ad Psalmista<m> qui actum latere que Deo exhibetur sol<l>e<m>pnibus canticis et organis pro uarietate personarum, locorum et temporum decenter ornauit.

I have retained medieval orthography.

My difficulty is with "qui actum latere que Deo exhibetur". I am not sure how 'latere' and 'que' (quae) operate in and are translated in this sentence? There may be a scribal error here; what is 'que' referring back to? Does latere mean hidden? and if so how is it grammatically working in this sentence?

This is as far as I could take this sentence:
Circumspection, which considers the circumstances of the situation that adorn it (i.e., the situation), chiefly applies to the Psalmist, who gracefully adorned the act latere quae(?) that is shown to God with/or by means of solemn songs and instruments for a variety of people, places and times.

Thank you.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hi,

It doesn't make sense to me, either. Are you sure of your reading? Couldn't latere be something else, like latrie?

asulavik

Hi,
I am translating a sentence from a fourteenth century manuscript and am having difficulty translating a section of it. The full sentence, as I have transcribed, is:

Circumspeccio, que circumstancias negocii considerat que ipsum decorant, maxime pertinet ad Psalmista<m> qui actum latere que Deo exhibetur sol<l>e<m>pnibus canticis et organis pro uarietate personarum, locorum et temporum decenter ornauit.

I have retained medieval orthography.

My difficulty is with "qui actum latere que Deo exhibetur". I am not sure how 'latere' and 'que' (quae) operate in and are translated in this sentence? There may be a scribal error here; what is 'que' referring back to? Does latere mean hidden? and if so how is it grammatically working in this sentence?

This is as far as I could take this sentence:
Circumspection, which considers the circumstances of the situation that adorn it (i.e., the situation), chiefly applies to the Psalmist, who gracefully adorned the act latere quae(?) that is shown to God with/or by means of solemn songs and instruments for a variety of people, places and times.

Thank you.
Thank you for confirming what I suspected. There are many scribal errors in the text, 'latrie' would be as good an emendation to make to the text as I can think of as well. Thank you.