Mediaeval Medieval Sermon Intro

Big Ups

Hi There, I'm working on a medieval sermon, and I'm finding the intro challenging. I have included the intro below and my translation. Thanks for any help you can porovide.

Factum est, etc. Draconi quem propheta factum esse ait ad
Illudendun ei tunc illudimus cum versutias ejus machinamentaque
et praelia subdola per virtutem declinamus. Hoc autem ut nunc et
olim fiat, implorandum est illius auxilium pro qua ad eum comminatus
est Dominus dicens: et ipsa conteret caput tuum. Contrivit enim
quia nulli unquam peccato subjacuit, nec originali quidem; alioquin
caput draconis, initium videlicet peccati, nequaquam contrivisset,
quin potius serpens se Virginis caput prius attrivisse et conculcasse
gloriari potuisset, comminantique Domino quod Maria contereret
caput suum, procaci mordacitate respondere valuisset: et ego
conteram prius suum. Quod a nostra credulitate procul absit, quatenus
de ea pie sentientes piam et nostris precibus exorabilem mereamur.
Cui pro gratia Spiritus Sancti impetranda, praesentemus Ave angelicum
dicentes: Ave Maria.

And there was [a great battle in heaven], etc. (Rev.12.7) We fool the dragon, whom the prophet said was made to play therein (i.e., in the sea. Ps. 103:26), when we deflect his crafts, machinations, and deceitful battles through our virtue. In this, let it be now and in the future, His help must be implored before whom the lord threatened saying, “and she will crush your head” (Gen. 3:15). For, she crushed [the serpent’s head] because she had not ever been subject to any sin, nor, indeed the original [sin]. Otherwise, she would have by no means destroyed the head of the dragon, namely the beginning of sin; but rather the serpent would have been able to boast that he first diminished and trampled the head of the virgin. And to the Lord, then threatening that Mary should have crushed his head, the serpent could have been able to respond with an impudent bite: "and I will crush her [head] first." [But] Let that [idea] be far from our faith, so that by feeling affectionately toward her, we might gain [a Mary who is] devoted and receptive to our prayers. To whom, let us give forth the greeting of the angles, according to the grace that must be obtained of the Holy Spirit, saying “Hail Mary!”

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hoc autem ut nunc et
olim fiat
In this, let it be now and in the future,
"So that this may be so (or may happen) now and in the future", or "For this to happen..."
pro qua
before whom
More like "for whom" or "regarding whom".
You forgot to translate his.
Contrivit enim
quia nulli unquam peccato subjacuit, nec originali quidem
For, she crushed [the serpent’s head] because she had not ever been subject to any sin, nor, indeed the original [sin].
Subjacuit is perfect tense, not pluperfect.

Nec... quidem would translate better as "not even".

I would have translated enim as "indeed" here rather than "for" but I guess that's debatable.
contrivisset
destroyed
Why not continue translating this verb as "crush", as in what precedes?
attrivisse
diminished
That doesn't look like an appropriate translation in this case. I'd say "crush" or something like that.
could have been able to respond
I'd say "would" rather than "could".
pro gratia Spiritus Sancti impetranda
according to the grace that must be obtained of the Holy Spirit
More like "in order to obtain grace..."

Big Ups

Thanks so much, Pacifica.
ad eum​

R: my initial translation seemed to make the ad eum redundant: "regarding whom the Lord threatened him, saying..." should the "him" stay, or is there a better way of rendering it?

pro gratia Spiritus Sancti impetranda
according to the grace that must be obtained of the Holy Spirit​

R: I like yours better, but how do you get there? Is the gerundive doing all of that? what of the pro?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

ad eum​

R: my initial translation seemed to make the ad eum redundant: "regarding whom the Lord threatened him, saying..." should the "him" stay, or is there a better way of rendering it?
I would have kept the "him" as I don't think it's so redundant, but I guess it isn't a big deal if you drop it. Readers would still know from the context that God was threatening "him", the dragon.
pro gratia Spiritus Sancti impetranda​
according to the grace that must be obtained of the Holy Spirit​

R: I like yours better, but how do you get there? Is the gerundive doing all of that? what of the pro?
First of all, are you familiar with those cases when a gerund construction gets turned into a gerundive construction while retaining the same meaning? If not, you can take a look at section 1. GERUND AND GERUNDIVE in this post, where I explain it.

That construction is what we've got here: pro gratia impetranda = pro gratiam impetrando (the latter would be rather unusual, but not impossible).

Pro + gerund or gerundive construction isn't a classical construction. At any rate, I can't remember ever coming across it in classical Latin, where you'd find ad rather than pro. This is not, however, the first time I've come across it in medieval Latin.

Big Ups

Thanks so much for the explanation of the pro+gerund / gerundive, Pacifica, and the link to the post. That was just what I needed.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You're welcome. I'm glad that is so.