Metamorphoses V: 615 - illa

Cinefactus

Censor
Staff member
Sōl erat ā tergō: vīdī praecēdere longam
ante pedes umbram, nisi sī timor illa vidēbat;

I can't figure out why it is not illam rather than illa. Can anyone show me where I am going wrong?

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
It's neuter plural, "those things".

Cinefactus

Censor
Staff member
Thanks, I thought of that, but I couldn't figure out why an umbra would suddenly become those things.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Illam wouldn't have scanned, so maybe that played a role. Basically, though, illa is referring to the previously stated fact rather than to the shadow.

LCF

a.k.a. Lucifer
no idea what illa refers to

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Pacifica explained it pretty well.

LCF

a.k.a. Lucifer
Nope. (But I'd have to read the previous verses to see what illa refers to)

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
It doesn't refer to the previous verses.

LCF

a.k.a. Lucifer
what does it refer to?

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I took it as "those events", i.e. either the things she is narrating (the shadow growing bigger) or possibly to all the things in her memory.

LCF

a.k.a. Lucifer
Still, across the plains, over tree-covered mountains, through rocks and crags, and where there was no path, I ran. The sun was at my back. I saw a long shadow stretching before my feet, unless it was my fear that saw it, but certainly I feared the sound of feet, and the deep breaths from his mouth stirred the ribbons in my hair.

From https://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Latin/Metamorph5.php#anchor_Toc64106321

Translated by A. S. Kline © Copyright 2000 All Rights Reserved

He/she takes it for the shadow. Something is not right...

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
"It" can also just refer to the fact that the shadow is stretching (not the shadow itself).

LCF

a.k.a. Lucifer
Ran so fast in fear that did not notice the plains, mountains, rocks and crags... maybe illa refers to those things

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Well, as I said, it could be all the events in her memory ... or the event she narrates as a whole. Note that the phrase she uses to refer to herself uses the perfect tense (vidi), while timor is accompanied by the imperfect tense – which can be taken as a broader perspective, I suppose, not merely focusing on one thing (the shadow), but the whole setting.

Cinefactus

Censor
Staff member
There is nothing I can see before that line apart from the shadow that illa could refer to. Unless she is alluding to the long chase.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
What's so hard to understand about illa = those events?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
I agree with Bitmap/Pacifica -- I don't see anything weird about illa referring to a sort of generic "those things/events". I've often seen it used this way.