Modified Soul

A

Anonymous

Im trying to translate "Modified Soul" into Latin. Thus far I havent found a literal translation for modified. The best I could come up with was "Mutantus Animus", which would be "Altered Soul" to the best of my understanding. I suppose novo could aslo be used, but that starts to detract from the meaning in my opinion. Any help would be appreciated.

deudeditus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

anima mutata would be a good translation, you had it right. someone will come up with a more poetic one, im sure. and in such a case, poeticity ( :roll: ) should superare.

-Jon

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

I like anima mutata a lot deudedite; great job!

My only reservation stems from my understanding that this English is itself a translation from the Japanese? And some very strange things can happen when something is translated from language A to language B, then from B to C, and so on. Are there any Japanese scholars out there who can tell us more exactly what the Japanese words mean?

A

Anonymous

Why would it be a problem to translate an intergrated phrase, even if its origin is another language, to another language? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious.

And thanks deudeditus. I keep forgetting that adjectives are supposed to be behind the things they are describing.

deudeditus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

well, aces, adjectives don't have to be behind the noun. I just place them there when no special emphasis is placed on the adjective. If we needed to distinguish between, let's say, a red horse and a black horse, we might place the adj. before the noun just for clarity and/or emphasis.

The best I could come up with was "Mutantus Animus", which would be "Altered Soul"
I took mutantus to be a typo for mutatus. I did nothing really... just changed the noun a little, because i like to refer to my soul (innate being, immortal, and determinative of who I am in life) as feminine because things of importance are, in my daily speech, feminine. my sailboat is a her, as is my Mother, my Nation, the Ocean (she's a harsh mistress), the Earth (i.e. mother), my (hypothetical) Wife, my Guitar, Trees, mea anima, etc... just a little pet peeve, though.

translating a translation into a 'C' language (especially Japanese) could prove problematic mainly because of idiom, methinks. (quid agis? what are you driving?.. or.. what's up?)

Valete

-Jon

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Translation (like the hand-copying of a text) can generally be relied on to introduce at least a little error. And the errors can pile up. Example:

American English: speed bump
British English: sleeping policeman
German: schlafender polizist
Latin: vigilis dormiens
American English: a man who neglects his duty