Movies with Latin in them

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Gladiators of Rome - It's a children's movie - I didn't see the whole thing - not sure if there is any spoken Latin in it....there are signs and messages though, which appear to be generally correct.
(There was a short one - Domus Dianae, then some longer messages on the screen but I didn't have time to check them....)

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Monty Python's Life of Brian has a scene where one of the locals tries to write "Romans Go Home" in Latin on a wall. He puts "Romanes Eunt Domus." A centurion spots him and proceeds to correct his grammar in the manner of a schoolmaster.

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Not a movie, but here in the UK we used to have a TV programme called Play Away. It was aimed at pre-school children but like all the best children's programmes it credited its viewers with some intelligence. There was a sketch once with a Roman Emperor talking to (I think) a legionnaire. In the background were a number of soldiers who despite being Roman acted like a Greek chorus. The dialogue went along the following lines.
Emperor: Hello, how are you?
Legionnaire: Fit and hale, Caesar.
Soldiers: Hale Caesar!
Emperor: What's the weather like out there?
Legionnaire: I think it's going to hail, Caesar.
Soldiers: Hail Caesar!
Emperor: I'm rather thirsty.
Legionnaire: Would you like an ale, Caesar?
Soldiers: Ale Caesar!
And so on.
At the end of the sketch the soldiers marched off in step, chanting "sinister dexter, sinister dexter ..."
Ah, they don't make 'em like that any more.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Anyone remember the sketch with Floella Benjamin doing the 'flamingo actions' while asking the kids what kind of bird she is, and some wee guy shouts out, "A black bird!"? He'd probably be lifted by social services nowadays.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Not a film, but a TV series. The theme music for Mr. Bean is sung in Latin. To the best my ear can make out, it sounds like they are singing, "Ecce homo homo qui est faba." Anyone care to offer an improvement? The first thirty-five seconds have it.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Listening to the closing music, it sounds a little different.

"Vale, homo qui est faba." Anyone dis/agree?

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Yes, that's the whole point; "Behold/goodbye, the man is a bean." We are singing about Mr Bean, after all.

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I don't know about Floella Benjamin being a black bird, but allegedly the researchers for "Pointless" asked 100 people to name a bird with a long neck, and one said "Naomi Campbell."

And I do remember an edition of "Family Fortunes" where the contestants had to give words beginning with "Z". They rattled off words like zoo, zebra and zither, but try as they might, they just couldn't find one of the high scoring answers. Eventually it was revealed to be xylophone. The families protested, and Bob Monkhouse explained, "You know xylophone begins with x, and I know xylophone begins with x, but we asked 100 members of the public ... ..."

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

allegedly the researchers for "Pointless" asked 100 people to name a bird with a long neck, and one said "Naomi Campbell."
That story, in one form or another, predates that particular show.

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I was careful to say "allegedly". I did have a feeling that Naomi Campbell probably wasn't even born when men called girls "birds".

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Good to know the devil speaks Latin using RCP.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The Omen (1976)
Soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith, Track 1 - Ave Satani

Lyrics:

Sanguis bibimus
Corpus edibus
Sanguis bibimus
Corpus edibus
Sanguis bibimus
Corpus edibus
Rolle corpus Satani, ave
Sanguis bibimus
Corpus edibus
Rolle corpus Satani, ave

Ave, ave, versus Christus

Ave Satani
Sanguis bibimus
Corpus edibus
Rolle corpus Satani,
Satani, Satani

Ave, ave, Satani.

TheOtherDrew

In "The Supersizers eat ancient Rome", the two hosts have a brief conversation in latin about looking silly in roman dress & not actually knowing much latin.
(about 4:25 in)
It's a nice light documentary about roman food & dining practices. They recreate & eat popular roman foods (so if you've ever wanted to see garum being made, now's your chance)

Last edited:

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

The Omen (1976)
Soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith, Track 1 - Ave Satani

Lyrics:

Sanguis bibimus
Corpus edibus
Sanguis bibimus
Corpus edibus
Sanguis bibimus
Corpus edibus
Rolle corpus Satani, ave
Sanguis bibimus
Corpus edibus
Rolle corpus Satani, ave

Ave Satani
Sanguis bibimus
Corpus edibus
Rolle corpus Satani,
Satani, Satani

Ave, ave, Satani.
Ugh...these types of lyrics all seem exactly the same to other Satanic songs, bad grammar about ritual things.