Movies with Latin in them

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Another one -- Thirst (1979). There's some kind of weird hymn in it. The only words that come to mind are "Esto perpetua" (May she be perpetual -- the motto of Idaho but the meaning is completely different here).

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I just watched "The Tale of Despereaux", and noticed that there was a Latin phrase engraved on the library wall... I think it was "FORTUNA IUVAT CONSILIO ET AN[IMIS]" - I don't think it showed anything but the first two letters of "animis", but a Google search completed the phrase for me.

It looks like they just merged two phrases together in a way that doesn't entirely make sense - doesn't iuvare take an accusative object?

CervisiaClark

I recently saw a show "Warrior Queen Boudica" (2006) on the Military History Channel. (In the US).

It was a documentary but they did a lot more dramatization then I usually see on those shows. I didn't see it from the start and the 'Brittania natives' were speaking english. It took me a little bit to realize the Romans were all speaking latin! I don't know enough latin yet to check what they were actually saying though I could pick up on some of it. They seemed to be speaking ecclesiastical (vulgar) pronounciation.

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Derek Jarman's "Sebastiane" is entirely in Latin (to answer the previous question some months later...)

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I heard that it was unbearable... I haven't seen it myself.

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Stephen Fry has about two - three sentences in Latin here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=976mmTNbLbg[/youtube]

The subligaculum looks quite interesting on him.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Brunhilda dixit:
Stephen Fry has about two - three sentences in Latin here...
This is awesome! I posted this on our FB and twitter accounts :p

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Which reminds me of a personal favourite: Goodbye Mr Chips, the 1939 version starring Robert Donat, where he plays a Latin teacher at an English public (ie private) school. One scene particularly sticks in the memory, where a schoolboy is reading out a passage of Caesar in class, using the old English pronunciation: absolutely authentic, I should think -- gives you a real window into another world. At a later point in the film the Latin teacher complains about the new pronunciation: "Take a word like Vye-sissim -- well, now you'd have them say We kiss'em!", he cackles, as if that was the knock-out punch. Ah, but it's a wonderful film. Don't waste time on the later Peter O'Toole version or indeed the modern TV remake.

Which further reminds me of 'The Browning Version', again the earlier version (1951) with Michael Redgrave, who absolutely nails the part of the severe, apparently cold-hearted, classics teacher in emotional crisis. That one has more to do with Greek (Aeschylus, specifically) than Latin, but watch it anyway, do. Not to be confused with the daftly inferior remake starring Albert Finney, who can't even pronounce the Greek (utterly destroying his credibility as a pedantic pedagogue).

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

That settles it. If my dream to teach Latin is ever realized, vicissim will be the first word my class will learn. Vicissem would be closer to the desired effect, but how on earth would you explain the imperfect subjunctive to a fresh batch of students?

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

socratidion dixit:
Which reminds me of a personal favourite: Goodbye Mr Chips, the 1939 version starring Robert Donat, where he plays a Latin teacher at an English public (ie private) school. One scene particularly sticks in the memory, where a schoolboy is reading out a passage of Caesar in class, using the old English pronunciation: absolutely authentic, I should think -- gives you a real window into another world. At a later point in the film the Latin teacher complains about the new pronunciation: "Take a word like Vye-sissim -- well, now you'd have them say We kiss'em!", he cackles, as if that was the knock-out punch. Ah, but it's a wonderful film. Don't waste time on the later Peter O'Toole version or indeed the modern TV remake.
It is available in full length on youtube :) 6.07 min:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Z5iZE1G1I[/youtube]

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

... well, not wanting to give the plot away, they all have a reason to be looking miserable. It's not the Latin....

Decimvs

Aedilis

• Aedilis

I had some professors whose faces looked as if someone had hit them in the groin with a frozen hammer while listening to people translate Caesar. Like the guy in the football jersey who has no interest in it, but took it because the university makes him take a second language, and he makes little or no effort at correct pronunciation and is content with a grade barely above passing.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Just thought I'd say that I watched Goodbye Mr. Chips last night per Soc's recommendation. I enjoyed it - I like sentimental classics like that one.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I'm watching Ernest: Scared Silly right now. In it, Ernest drives a dump truck that has the motto "Ignoramus ad Infinitum" on the door.