My dearest friend,

Lane

1:

My dearest friend,
We said we would grow old together, but it cannot be so.
I am so happy you were able to become the person you were when I last saw you.
You were so excited for things to come.
Until we meet again, Cole.

2: The translation is for a tattoo i plan to get

3: The tattoo is in memory of my cousin who passed away 5 years ago. This is something that i would say to him if i had one more chance to speak with him. The idea is in my head that if his spirit is travelling and comes across me, he can read this and know my feelings. Rather sappy, but it makes me happy.

4: Cole was male

I apologize in advance for having posted on here before. I hadn't followed posting procedures and was unable to get the full translation. I just included it all again as some debate had started for the translation of the first part and how to write it. I hope this is correct! Thank you for your time and translation!

- Lane

malleolus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I doubt you'll be able to fit all of it into a tattoo.

Lane amico carissimo S.D.

Ad summam senectutem , a qua fortuna nos prohibuit, victuros (esse) diximus. Tibi contigisse , ut talis homo fieris , qualem postremum invenirem/viderem, summo gaudio affectus sum , quod res futuras ingenti spe exspectavisti. Vale.

Since this is my first post in this forum I'd like to apologize in advance if I went about it in the wrong way.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

*fieres
*postremum invenissem/vidissem

I also wonder about leaving nos implicit with victuros. I suppose it can be understood from the relative clause.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

you need an accusative subject in the main clause of the first sentence for clearness' sake, nos victuros ... and fieres. *nevermind, IR got it first.

malleolus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Sorry for the typo in fieres. I decided to forgo putting nos (as part of the accusative with infinitive) at the beginning ,but Cicero would have my head for it , no doubt.

Lane

Thanks Everyone!
Can someone please copy/paste + write out the final product, a bit confused. Thanks!

malleolus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Here you are

Lane amico carissimo S.D.

Nos ad summam senectutem , a qua fortuna nos prohibuit, victuros diximus. Tibi contigisse , ut talis homo fieres , qualem postremum viderem, summo gaudio affectus sum , quod res futuras ingenti spe exspectavisti. Vale.

Lane

Thank you. Sorry I was out of the country before school started. One question, why is esse in brackets? Is it optional? I certainly wouldn't write it out that way. Thanks

Lane

malleolus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

= salutem dicit. :)

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Which basically means "sends greetings", a typical Roman salutation. And just to be sure you understand, the word Lane at the beginning is your username, not a Latin word, so you should replace that with your real name (if it isn't Lane).

Arca Defectionis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I think malleolus is a little free with his translation (which is fine), but a more literal translation would be:

Amice carissime,
Dicebamus nos insimul ad senectum creturos, sed sic non fieri potest.
Felicissimus sum te potente fieri homo qui eras cum ultime (or ultimam vicem) te vidi.
Avidissimus de (rebus) futuris eras.
Ad occursum proximum, [Cole].

I don't really have a problem with malleolus's translation, but I would strongly advise against "S.D." Just because your tattoo is in Latin doesn't mean it should be styled like a Roman letter. "Amice carissime" is vocative like "my dearest friend."