Names You Like

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Xerxes and Artaxerxes.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
If I haven't already posted those, yes, Xerxes, Artaxerxes, Darius and Cyrus are some of my favorites ever.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
I like ancient polish names
1) BOGUSŁAW : Means "glory of God" from the Slavic elements bogu "god" + slava "glory".
2) BOLESŁAW Derived from the Slavic elements bolye "more, greater" + slava "glory".
3) MIECZYSŁAW, Derived from the Slavic element mechi "sword" combined with slava "glory". "He who earned glory by sword"
4) BORZYWOJ, Borzuj - Borz(y)- ("to fight") + "-woj, -uj" ("warriror"). "fighting warrior"
5) MŚCIWOJ, Mszczujwoj – „mścić (się)” (to avenge) + "woj”(warrior) - "vengful warrior"
6) WOJOSŁAW, Wojesław, Wojisław, Wosław – "Woj-" („wojownik”) + "-sław" "he who earned fame in war"

@Matthaeus @Hemo Rusticus
The Polish reflex of *slāvъ is so gnarly! Sounds so mellifluous and powerful, not to mention like French for thirst, one of the exceedingly few French words I actually like.

I really dig Ярослав, both because of its meaning & because it has an exact Indic cognate (Ugrišravas, a character in the Mahabharata), yet another hint at the early Iranian-Slavic suzerainty.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
@Issacus Divus - a polish name Jarosław would suit you ("Jaryło/ Yarylon" - proto-slavic deity of the sun + "-slava" glory)
Jarosław = "Glory of the Sun"
I never heard of that! Pretty bitchin'.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Unfortunately, the Roman letters are reminiscent of English '(cole)slaw', which is more or less the exact opposite of intense.
:confused:

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
I really dig Ярослав, both because of its meaning & because it has an exact Indic cognate (Ugrišravas, a character in the Mahabharata), yet another hint at the early Iranian-Slavic suzerainty.

"Yep, да, да, yep, cultural symbiosis on tha Pontiс steppe,
A *vȅčerъ, an eve,
A demon, a *divъ,
Sons of Lech, Czech and Rus,
give some vocab to us!"

I never heard of that! Pretty bitchin'.
I agree, so do me a favor and don't 'sociate my name with crap food less you want me to rap rude, ya dig?

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I like the French road signs that say Sauf Bus.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
I like the French road signs that say Sauf Bus.
A general understanding of Romance might lead one to think that means 'save (as in 'protect') cows!'

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
The way it sounds. Elegant, & clearly foreign but could almost be English.
I don't think it sounds particularly elegant. I had never thought about it before, but in fact, it sounds a bit like a dog's bark to me — it's basically "waf" plus an S in the beginning. :D

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
"waf", lol, woof~waf.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris
If I haven't already posted those, yes, Xerxes, Artaxerxes, Darius and Cyrus are some of my favorites ever.
(This fun selection reminds me of the Bible...)

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Just a digression - one of my doctors during studies was a history enthusiast, If memory serves me right, he named one of his daughters Dobrawa
and other he named Jadwiga.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Athanaric
Athanagild

Tironis

Civis Illustris
rānunculus. Such a cute name for such a cute creature.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Any University Challenge watchers?

Webb for Corpus Christi is quite brilliant for a young lad, so sharp. But going forward one brilliant player won't cut it, they'll come up against a good team like Manchester or another Oxbridge team and they'll lose even if they indeed have the best player of the 28 teams this year.
Did you mean to post this on a different thread?