nec amplius eam repetebat quae terram... Satyricon, chapter 27

Phoebus Apollo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hi,
How does the 'amplius' in this sentence work from chapter 27 (near the beginning) of Petronius' Satyricon:
Nec amplius eam repetebat quae terram contigerat...

I know it means something along the lines of 'he didn't make any more effort to pick up any ball which had touched the ground...' - but does it literally mean 'he did not further pick up...'? I'm not sure if this is a common usage of amplius...

Thanks in advance! Edit: I just noticed the title has been autocorrected - sorry! the correct version is above

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

"amplius" basically means "(any) more".
Something like "nor was he seeking/taking again the ball any more..." Perhaps the use of the imperfect in "repetebat" can be put in this category:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"amplius" basically means "(any) more".
Something like "nor was he seeking/taking again the ball any more..." Perhaps the use of the imperfect in "repetebat" can be put in this category:
Seeing the context, I'd say it's rather a regular imperfect. It denotes a repeated action (or non-action) rather than a single (non-)attempt, and is surrounded by several other imperfects.

Nec tam pueri nos, quamquam erat operae pretium, ad spectaculum duxerant, quam ipse pater familiae, qui soleatus pila prasina exercebatur. Nec amplius eam repetebat quae terram contigerat, sed follem plenum habebat servus sufficiebatque ludentibus.