Need practice sentences

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Good. And yes, it's ok to use a dictionary.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Oh, there's a typo, though: occasionem, not ocassionem.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Oops

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"Hey, we don't speak Greek here. If you want to speak Greek, go to Athens."

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

How do you say "Hey"? EDIT: ninja'd

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

;)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ok.

"As I was having dinner, I was brought a letter from Julius saying that he was very badly ill and that I, his faithful physician — so he called me — should come to him as soon as possible."

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Dum ceno, mihi allatae sunt litterae a Iulio missae, in quibus dixit se aegerrimum esse; ego, medicus suus fidelis -- ita me vocabat -- quam primum ad se venirem.

Imperfacundus

Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Cum cenarem mihi allatae sunt litterae de iulio se multum aegrotare mihique medico suo fideli - ita enim me appellavit - ad se quam celerrime eundum.

May be very, very wrong.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Dum ceno, mihi allatae sunt litterae a Iulio missae, in quibus dixit se aegerrimum esse; ego, medicus suus fidelis -- ita me vocabat -- quam primum ad se venirem.
Correct, but the words missae, in quibus dixit aren't really necessary. If you keep that bit, though, dicebat would feel better to me than dixit.
Cum cenarem mihi allatae sunt litterae de iulio se multum aegrotare mihique medico suo fideli - ita enim me appellavit - ad se quam celerrime eundum.

May be very, very wrong.
Wrong preposition; it should be a.

Veniendum rather than eundum (because it's "come", from the point of view of Julius, rather than "go", from the point of view of the other).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"Why won't you marry me? What are you afraid of? I'm not the kind of woman who'll lose it if her husband happens to sleep with another. All I want is for you to treat me and our future children well; what you do with your dick when away from home, I consider to be none of my business. See what a good wife I'd make? Come on, marry me."

Imperfacundus

Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

The logic behind using something other than 'a' was that it wasn't necessarily Julius who brought the letter to the recipient. But I guess not everything is disambiguatable.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The logic behind using something other than 'a' was that it wasn't necessarily Julius who brought the letter to the recipient. But I guess not everything is disambiguatable.
I see. But I've never seen de used that way (to mean that something like a letter comes from someone), while ab regularly is. It's indeed ambiguous, but I guess the context makes it clear enough. A way to disambiguate it would be to do like Dantius and add something like missae or scriptae, but I hardly think it's necessary (I'm pretty sure I've seen things like litterae allatae a(b)... with the person after a(b) being the writer rather than the bringer of the letter, and it's understood from the context).

Imperfacundus

Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Quin me in matrimonium ducis ? Quid paves ? Non talis sum mulier qualis irascetur si qua fiet ut maritus forte cum alia concumbat. Unum illud volo me natosque nostros futuros ut liberaliter tractes; mea non interesse reor quid foris verpa facias. Vidisne quam bona essem tibi uxor ? Fac ducas !

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Quin me in matrimonium ducis ?
I think "why won't you" is a real question about his reason for not wanting to marry her. That's the way I meant it in any case. So cur me in matrimonium ducere non vis?
Non talis sum mulier qualis irascetur si qua fiet ut maritus forte cum alia concumbat.
I'm not sure this is very idiomatic. I think something like this would be better (optional words in perentheses): non sum ea (femina/mulier) quae irascar si (qua fiat ut) maritus forte cum alia concumbat.
mea non interesse reor quid foris verpa facias.
It would have been nice to keep the emphasis of the original by putting the indirect question first.
Vidisne quam bona essem tibi uxor ?
The meaning here is potential rather than present contrary-to-fact. And videre is second conjugation. Videsne quam bona tibi uxor futura sim?
Fac ducas !
It would have been nice to add age for "come on".

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"It is an admirable thing to be generous when oneself in need."

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Concerning grammar:

Generosus should be in the accusative: "to be generous" here is a substantive clause (subject of est) and the subject of such a clause, as well as any adjective or such referring to it (here "generous" sort of refers to an implied subject "someone" or so), must be in the accusative (except cases of attraction into the dative in things like mihi libet esse molestae).

Indigere is second conjugation (so the 2nd pers. sg. present indicative is indiges), and it would be more classical for it to be in the subjunctive here, indigeas. In classical Latin, a verb agreeing with a "general you" (i.e. "you" in the sense of "one/someone/anyone" rather than specifically you whom I'm talking to) is generally in the subjunctive.

Concerning vocabulary:

Liberalem rather than generosum.