"No Double Figures"

SheffieldMCX

A friend of mine runs a football team that have suffered a fair amount of large defeats over the years. Some weeks, the main objective isn’t to concede double figures in a game.

He quipped that if he knew the Latin for ‘no double figures’ they would use it as the club motto.

Does anyone know what the nearest Latin translation would be for ‘no double figures’ in the numerical context? I haven’t studied Latin since school, but have a vague recollection there isn’t a true translation of the word ‘no’. Also, I think figuras (figures) relates to images, statues etc., rather than numbers.

Any help appreciated on this one.

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

numquam plus novem = never more than nine

Double figures in Roman numerals could mean II (two) or CC (two hundred)

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Double figures in Roman numerals could mean II (two) or CC (two hundred)
That's true, but I think as long as the team members all understand what context the "figures" are in (Arabic numerals rather than Roman ones) it'll make sense.

Ne numeri duplices (sint) = "(Let there) not (be) double numbers".

Do others think it's possible to leave out sint -- would it be understood from the context? I think I've seen this before, but I'm honestly not sure if it's allowable.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Hmm, I don’t think I’ve ever seen it like that before. I wouldn’t understand at first glance.