Homework nobiscum

BrianBerbati

Hello, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Brian. I'm a beginner in the study of Latin. So far I've learned 1st, 2nd, and 3rd declension nouns, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd conjugation verbs in three different tenses, noun-adjective pairs, prepositions, common irregular verbs, and the use of infinitives in sentences. I was tasked with translating five sentences but one confounds me. In the sentence "Ad Forum nobiscum ire volunt" I'm confused with the word nobiscum. I know nobis is the pronoun ego in the plural dative/ablative case and cum is a preposition meaning with, but I've never encountered it and I can't find much information about it. There's probably a simple explanation though. Does it have a completely different meaning or does it literally mean with (cum) us (nobis)?

Thanks so much for the help, Brian

Here is my translation of those five sentences:

1. Possumus magistram iuvare.
We can help the teacher.
2. Ad Forum nobiscum ire volunt.
They want to go to the market (with us)?
3. Orationem audire non vultis.
You (all) do not want to hear the speech.
4. Ad theatrum hodie eunt.
Today they are going to the theater.
5. Possunt responsum invenire.
They can find the answer.

B

Bitmap

Your translations are right. nobiscum is that same as *cum nobis, but the the cum is attached to the word. It means "with us."

Usually, cum is a preposition that stands before the word it governs. However, with personal pronouns, it is always attached to the end of the pronoun: mecum, tecum, secum, nobiscum, vobiscum. With relative pronouns, it is usually attached to the pronoun as well: quocum, quacum, quibuscum (but here, you sometimes find exceptions like cum quo).

BrianBerbati

Thank you for the explanation Bitmap, I understand now. I appreciate you taking the time to help me. I just saw your profile, and you've made almost 14,000 comments and posts! How long have you been learning Latin?

Brian

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Your translations are right. nobiscum is that same as *cum nobis, but the the cum is attached to the word. It means "with us."
This is one of the easiest bits of Latin grammar to remember.

The story is that cum nobis sounds like twice up the female pudenda

From Cicero Orator ad M. Brutum
Quid, illud non olet unde sit, quod dicitur cum illis, cum autem nobis non dicitur, sed nobiscum? Quia si ita diceretur, obscaenius concurrerent litterae, ut etiam modo, nisi autem interposuissem, concurrissent. Ex eo est mecum et tecum, non cum me et cum te, ut esset simile illis nobiscum atque vobiscum.