Not All Who Wander Are Lost

sarah

im looking to get a tattoo and i wanted to get "Not All Who Wander Are Lost" tattooed on my body, but i would like for it to be written in Latin, so if anyone can translate that for me, that would be awesome :D

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Re: can someone translate something for me?

If you don't understand a language, why have a tattoo in it? I'm inferring from your request that Latin is somehow 'better' than English, since you prefer some ancient language over your own. I just don't get it why people want tattoos in a foreign-to-them language. Anyway, enough philosophy. Here is an attempt: Non omnes qui vagantur amittuntur.

B

Bitmap

amitto has the meaning of losing something with the possibility of finding it again some time later ... maybe perire would be a choice here ... but "to be lost" doesn't even imply that ... we mgiht have to look for something expressing "not to know where you are or where to go", don't we?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

What is the word/verb for that, then?

B

Bitmap

*maybe* non omnes qui vagantur decipuntur via
what do you think

deudeditus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

mattheus dixit:
If you don't understand a language, why have a tattoo in it? I'm inferring from your request that Latin is somehow 'better' than English, since you prefer some ancient language over your own. I just don't get it why people want tattoos in a foreign-to-them language. Anyway, enough philosophy. Here is an attempt: Non omnes qui vagantur amittuntur.
Why put it on diplomas? Why the need to have mottoes in latin? I don't know. I suppose maybe Latin lends a certain sense of seriousness or of being official. Maybe for European-cultured people Latin still has those religious overtones to it.

Could it also be said (changing it around from the literal translation) non omnes vagantes (sunt) perditi? The word perditus being under debate.

Bitmap dixit:
amitto has the meaning of losing something with the possibility of finding it again some time later ... maybe perire would be a choice here ... but "to be lost" doesn't even imply that ... we mgiht have to look for something expressing "not to know where you are or where to go", don't we?
"to be lost" could be taken as in the phrase "he/she is lost to us." ie she's completely lost/destroyed/beyond hope. maybe he knows where he is but he can't get back.

What about aboriscere or deperire? Non omnes vagantes depereunt. ? eh I don't know.

sarah

i cannot explain for others as to why they want an ancient language tattooed on their person, but to me, something written in Latin just sounds more poetic

B

Bitmap

deudeditus dixit:
Could it also be said (changing it around from the literal translation) non omnes vagantes (sunt) perditi? The word perditus being under debate.
Well, perditus means to be lost in the sense that you're perishing and can abandon hope etc. If that's what you want to imply it should be fine, but in connection with wandering I'd understand "lost" to be in the sense of getting lost somewhere/losing your way/straying (hence my suggestion above)

What about aboriscere or deperire? Non omnes vagantes depereunt. ? eh I don't know.
(de)perire is the corresponding verb to perditus, the adjective you used above, so the answer would be the same :)

deudeditus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Bitmap dixit:
(de)perire is the corresponding verb to perditus, the adjective you used above, so the answer would be the same :)
:doh:

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Bitmap dixit:
*maybe* non omnes qui vagantur decipuntur via
what do you think
Good suggestion, Bitmap, but I think you meant decipiuntur. Typo.

B

Bitmap

Thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately, I can't edit it anymore

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

What happened to the edit function? Has Akela done away with that? :?

sarah

I just want to say thank you to everyone for helping me out. This is really really interesting to see so many people with an extensive knowlege and command of the Latin language. :applause:

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

I would say non omnes vagantes aberrant.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I thought of using that verb earlier.

A

Anonymous

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

First Post - Be Gentle. As a physician, I thought I could use my Latin exposure in college to correctly translate...but no way...there is much more sophistication needed so I am asking for your assistance please.

Please Translate the famous JR Tolkien: "Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Many Thanks.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Re: Please offer your translation assistance

Depending on the precise meaning, I'd suggest either:

Non omnes vagantes aberrant. "Not all those who wander lose their way."

or else:

Non omnes vagantes aberrarunt. "Not all those who wander have lost their way."

A

Anonymous

Re: Please offer your translation assistance

Thank You very much

Blaze66

Hello,

I was hoping you might be able to translate this Tolkien quote,
"Not all who wander are lost".

I've seen it translated both as:
Non omnes deerrant qui vagantur
and
Non omnes vagantes deerrant

Would you agree with one of those translations and if not, what would you use instead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Blaze

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I think that "non omnes deerrant qui vagantur" can work, wait for more confirmations anyway.