Nux

Kali

Hi guys :) I'm here for help with a strange word association. I can see the connection (sort of) but I can't quite solidify it satisfactorily in my mind. I do not speak Latin, but I have a very basic grasp of the concepts. This is the phrase that is throwing me for a loop -

" The word "Nutrition" is a compound word (Nut-rition) which comes of the Latin, NUX, meaning 'process of light'.

Now, I know that LUX means light. I know that NUX means nut. The rest I can't make sense of. Can anyone explain to me how the Latin word NUX translates into "process of light"?

Thanks in advance :)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hi,

Nux has nothing to do with a process of light. Whoever wrote that just wrote nonsense.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Nux has nothing to do with a process of light. Whoever wrote that just wrote nonsense.
Though not quite as harmful nonsense as claiming eating apricots cure cancer, what with being electric and all.

Kali

^^^ Right. I was interested in his work (looks like you know who I'm talking about here), but there were enough inconsistencies - the Latin being one of them - to make me dig into it more before getting too involved, which is how I ended up here. I had a feeling it was BS. If the Latin is being lied about, what else is? Nah, I'm out.

Thanks for confirming :)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

claiming eating apricots cure cancer
I can't see that is written on the same page as the nux thing. Is it on another page of the same site, or just an overstatement on your part?

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Don looks like what we call a snake oil salesman - the last kind of person I'd expect to get his Latin right.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Drink half your body weight of water in ounces, daily. Example, drink 180 pounds divided by two. That equals 90 ounces of water daily. Divide that into eight or ten ounce glasses and that’s how many glasses you should drink, daily.
Good gods! Can't this be dangerous? He does tell you:
Include a quarter teaspoon of salt for every quart of water you drink. Make sure to use salt liberally with food.
Which will perhaps prevent you from getting severe hyponatremia from too much water, but still, I wonder if it doesn't remain dangerous even then, perhaps in some other respects. Because, Jeez, half your weight in water is an awful lot.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ah, phew. I thought by "in ounces" he meant you had to drink one ounce at a time, but apparently I missed this:
That equals 90 ounces of water daily.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Ah, phew. I thought by "in ounces" he meant you had to drink one ounce at a time, but apparently I missed this:
It is still a lot, unless you are exercising heavily.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Nutrition derives directly from the Latin nutritio, “nourishing.”
nūtrītiō f (genitive nūtrītiōnis); third declension

“Nutritio” is a noun of action from the past-participle stem of the Latin verb “nutrire”= "to nourish, suckle, feed,"
This is ultimately from the Proto-Indo-European (PIE) radix “nu-tri-“, a suffixed form (with feminine agent suffix) of *(s)nau- "to swim, flow, let flow," hence "to suckle,"

There is no relationship between nux (nut) and nutritio.
As I wrote above, the P-I-E root likely stems from “SNA” = “ (S)NAU” = “to flow” “to swim”
See Pokorny for more on PIE roots