Oh, the wonders and blessings of the Lord. Much I have been given and much I cannot see.

Bryce Duncan

Hello everyone!
I am in need of some help because I do not speak Latin (obviously), and there is neither a Latin nor Classics department at my university (University of Portland). This will probably be my only post.
I am a music student who is composing a choral piece and the brief poem I wrote for the text will sound better in Latin because it will be more appropriate for the neo-Medieval quality my composition has.
Here is my poem:

"Oh, the wonders and blessings of the Lord.
Much I have been given and much I cannot see.

On Him I will wait."

If anyone can help me with this that will be much appreciated!

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Hi, do you mean wait on him as in waiting for him or as in serving him?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
O mira bonaque Domini!
Multa mihi data sunt, multaque videre non possum.
Eum [or, illum] exspectabo [or, opperiar].

This is one possible translation; several words may have possible variants (some of which I listed above), and (as is usually the case in Latin) most of the words can be ordered in pretty well any way you'd like. I mention this since you said you were a composer setting the text, and one word order might be easier to set to music than a different one. Maybe try changing around the words, if you want, and then just check with us to make sure the final product works grammatically.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
Non should go before possum.

Hmm, I suppose it should, though it seems rather unlikely that anyone would really read the sentence as "there are many things I am able not to see".

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
That's probably unlikely, yes, but videre non possum seems a more natural order.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
As this is for music, I suppose we might as well mark the stresses. Maybe they aren't all obvious to someone who doesn't know Latin (e.g. they might end up saying VI-de-re or exs-PEC-ta-bo).

O mira bonaque Domini!
Multa mihi data sunt, multaque videre non possum.
Eum [or, illum] exspectabo [or, opperiar].

Bryce Duncan

Hey, I know this was almost a year ago, but I really appreciated how you guys helped me!
I ended up setting the music to the English text, maybe I will eventually write for a Latin text someday :)
However, my senior recital is approaching, and part of studies is to present the work in some of my classes to show my progress. WITH YOUR PERMISSION (of course), may I have your real names so I can properly give credit where credit is due?

If not, no worries I honestly do not know how often this forum is used haha.
Best,