Oh, the wonders and blessings of the Lord. Much I have been given and much I cannot see.

Bryce Duncan

Hello everyone!
I am in need of some help because I do not speak Latin (obviously), and there is neither a Latin nor Classics department at my university (University of Portland). This will probably be my only post.
I am a music student who is composing a choral piece and the brief poem I wrote for the text will sound better in Latin because it will be more appropriate for the neo-Medieval quality my composition has.
Here is my poem:

"Oh, the wonders and blessings of the Lord.
Much I have been given and much I cannot see.

On Him I will wait."

If anyone can help me with this that will be much appreciated!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hi, do you mean wait on him as in waiting for him or as in serving him?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

O mira bonaque Domini!
Multa mihi data sunt, multaque videre non possum.
Eum [or, illum] exspectabo [or, opperiar].

This is one possible translation; several words may have possible variants (some of which I listed above), and (as is usually the case in Latin) most of the words can be ordered in pretty well any way you'd like. I mention this since you said you were a composer setting the text, and one word order might be easier to set to music than a different one. Maybe try changing around the words, if you want, and then just check with us to make sure the final product works grammatically.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Non should go before possum.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Non should go before possum.

Hmm, I suppose it should, though it seems rather unlikely that anyone would really read the sentence as "there are many things I am able not to see".

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

That's probably unlikely, yes, but videre non possum seems a more natural order.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Ok, fixed.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

As this is for music, I suppose we might as well mark the stresses. Maybe they aren't all obvious to someone who doesn't know Latin (e.g. they might end up saying VI-de-re or exs-PEC-ta-bo).

O mira bonaque Domini!
Multa mihi data sunt, multaque videre non possum.
Eum [or, illum] exspectabo [or, opperiar].

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

You're welcome! :)

Bryce Duncan

Hey, I know this was almost a year ago, but I really appreciated how you guys helped me!
I ended up setting the music to the English text, maybe I will eventually write for a Latin text someday :)
However, my senior recital is approaching, and part of studies is to present the work in some of my classes to show my progress. WITH YOUR PERMISSION (of course), may I have your real names so I can properly give credit where credit is due?

If not, no worries I honestly do not know how often this forum is used haha.
Best,

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I will as well.